HADD training plan

3,481 to 3,500 of 3,777 messages
04/07/2013 at 11:27

Well, did my 8 miles, but was so humid round Bewl i seemed to be unable to get my HR down however slow I ran  still, averaged 145 ish instead of sub140 at 12:00mm so not too worried. Heat does that it seems! Friday LSR I'll be trying to sub 135-140 but at Bedgebury again. 

I use two programs, ismoothrun for the main pace and tracking, and although it does gove HR zones it doesnt do them often enough for me, I have started using anothe just for HR as I like the triple beeps every 10 seconds or so when I exceed what ever I have told it as limits. I see no reason not to try working only off the HR only and just try to ignore the pace.

04/07/2013 at 13:01

Chick - hill reps, well done

DD nice running and biking - glad the legs are easing up

Brian I know what you mean. Awesome pace for yesterday's session; rest /easy day today?

Andi nice run - we can't expect improvements every run, but the rolling average is the key. Well done

Cheesy well done in the heat.  I agree that working from HR is best - ignore the pace as it's irrelevant at this stage

LSR for me this morning - really happy with the 17.5m, averaged 72%, drift ok and only blipped over 75% in the last mile or two...pace was last October's MP

Edited: 04/07/2013 at 13:26
04/07/2013 at 13:36

The heat certainly makes things hard for us runners, Cheesy. I did the same 71% run that I did on Tuesday but pace was 5 secs per mile slower. Tuesday was relatively cool and dry. Today was 20 degrees and 80% humidity.

Brian: Ouch. 88% that must have hurt! I guess I'll join you in the mashed leg category tomorrow. P&D 13 miler with 8 @ MP. I'm nowhere near 83% equalling MP at this stage but I'll do my best. It won't be pretty .
Going cycling at the WE, so getting my Sunday run out of the way early.

As for the hills - it's all long term prep for Boston. I must start somewhere. I've done a weekly hill sesh for 5 weeks now. Starting with 30 sec reps working up to yesterday's 90 secs. Won't do longer than that. 90 secs is plenty long when it hurts . Strange as it may sound but I found that my legs feel a lot springier and that my stride has improved since I started this. I hope that by doing these regularly they will stop being so painful and killing my legs the way they do right now. Heartbreak Hill beckons

Wow, Tek - brilliant LSR ! I certainly couldn't run 17.5 miles at 72% at last October's MP! In fact, last October's MP is sub LT at the moment

04/07/2013 at 13:56

Tek- excellent - thats what we like to read - a pace that was equal to a previous MP but now at or lower than 75%. That's when you know this stuff is working 

04/07/2013 at 15:10

Tek, nice improvement. Good long run too.

I've had an impromptu rest day today. Things are a little tight and I think my body thanked me for a stretch in the gym. Next week will be week1 of my prep for Amsterdam and will include 35mins@tmp on Monday, and a track session on Thursday. 

04/07/2013 at 15:13

Cheesy - well done. Keep up the good work, despite the weather.

Tek/Chick ... nice LSRing.

What difference do you get between sub-LT pace and actual MP on the big day?

I did my usual bike commuting and a SSR ... same run as yesterday, 5.5M at 70%, 9/m. Basically I'm trying to make sure I'm recovered for tomorrow's  subLT.

edit: xpost Brian. What sort of pace will the tempo be ... and what's planned on the track?

Edited: 04/07/2013 at 15:15
04/07/2013 at 16:10

DrDan, tmp is target marathon pace. And will be 6.30s.

I'm not sure what track sesh to do yet. It will probably something easyish to kick-off  with. Maybe a 10k session.

04/07/2013 at 17:21

It all sounds hurt-locker to me... enjoy.

04/07/2013 at 18:22

Brian, turbo! Way to burn the carbon out of the pipes. Enjoy the hard-earned, thoroughly trashed legs!

Tek, beautiful display of fitness. I was just reading how consistency lets this year's MP be next year's LSR pace. Poster boy.

Chick, I think the hill work is great. I did it weekly prepping for my first marathon and I believe it gave me lots of power. I also like hill repeats cause my FT fibers love to burn up the hill.

After 3 days off (during which I did all the proper Achilles rehab stuff) I went out today and got 8.5 m in without pain or incident. Yesterday I was pain free all day so thought I'd test the waters today. We'll see how it progresses.

Fireworks stateside today.

Edited: 04/07/2013 at 18:24
04/07/2013 at 21:34

Chick, how did the 13 go?

Few early beers helped me forget about running.

05/07/2013 at 09:09

Think i know the answer to this already but can a HADDing plan accommodate a ParkRun of a weekend?

Have been going to these for the last few months and have really enjoyed taking part but can't picture being able to run these at 70% without someone calling an ambulance!  Dont want to throw away any work i have done for the sake of half an hour but just wanted advice from the more seasoned veterans.  Would also point out that my 26 minute run isnt quite the blistering pace I assume some of you can manage from the times i have seen!!!

05/07/2013 at 09:17

Sub60, the bottom line is if you want to do it and you enjoy doing it then go for it. It will hinder your aerobic improvement yes but it is a trade off. The way I would do it is do the parkrun either at the end of or in the middle of a long run. Then you can atempt to keep the average hr for the whole run in the 75% ball park.

Legs are itchy today following yesterday's rest day. 

05/07/2013 at 09:44

May give it a try as a finisher for a longer run.  Should at least make me a bit slower!

05/07/2013 at 09:46
Brian. wrote (see)

Legs are itchy today following yesterday's rest day. 

Will you do my sub-LT for me then! Looks like it's going to be a hot one.

05/07/2013 at 09:49
sub60just wrote (see)

May give it a try as a finisher for a longer run.  Should at least make me a bit slower!

I know a few folk who do/have done this ... a good way to clock parkrun appearances (to collect the T-shirt) without frying your legs every week.

05/07/2013 at 10:31

DrDan, look on the bright side - you get a sun tan thrown in

05/07/2013 at 14:11

doh! obviously drank too much Single Malt and Beer last night as I wrote a long post and it's not here today

No running today as I got out of bed and my (right) big toe is really painful - either gout or I stubbed it in my drunken stuper

Well done to all with your times/mileage, am a bit behind this week what with travelling et al and off to France for 10 days next Tuesday - maybe I can do a run or two round the airports lol.

Thanks for asking about my Dad, they are not letting him home today but maybe the beginning of next week - he seems brighter but only for short spells.

05/07/2013 at 14:56

Good luck with the toe and holiday Andi.

Hot hot hot today but at least my Hyde Park sub-LT circuit is mainly shaded. Plan was the same as Tuesday ... 7.55 miles with 6.25 at subLT (6 laps of the park). The stats tell me that I set off too fast, despite feeling stiff and lethargic. 83% is 145 bpm ... struggled to keep it down today in the second half, most probably due to the heat, but I held the pace well. On Tuesday I held the HR and the pace drifted. All in all they were pretty similar sessions.

1, 7:24/m, 135 bpm
2, 7:17/m, 143 bpm
3, 7:33/m, 142 bpm
4, 7:29/m, 146 bpm
5, 7:33/m, 146 bpm
6, 7:35/m, 148 bpm
6.24 miles at subLT ... 7:29/m 82% maxHR

Tuesdays session is here...

1, 7:15/m, 140 bpm
2, 7:31/m, 143 bpm
3, 7:26/m, 144bpm
4, 7:37/m, 144bpm
5, 7:36/m, 144bpm
6, 7:44/m, 144bpm
6.24M at 7:32/m 82% maxHR

Rest day tomorrow ... Mon-Fri has been 50M on the bike and 32 running, inc 2 x subLT sessions, so looking forward to a day off. 13.2 hilly miles planned for early Sunday morning.

05/07/2013 at 15:17

excellent running, Dr Dan

hope the drinks were worth it, Andi

complete stinker of a Run for me today :-

had an appointment First thing today so missed my usual early morning slot which meant running in 24 degree heat, 80% humidity :-!

13 miles, av. pace 8.35, av HR 78% :-

slow shit and nowhere near MP. but miles in the Bank

posting from my phone, ie. sorry for random weird capitals :-/

05/07/2013 at 16:26

BeDe thx

Brian hope the rest day has eased things up...

DD super subLT today

VT glad the Achilles seems to be sorted. Hope you enjoyed Independence Day

Sub60 I agree with Brian - a parkrun sandwich (x there, parkie, x back) will keep you in check...

Andi ouch. Hope the toe gets better quickly

Chick well done for slogging out the 13 in this heat...they all count

Sports massage, 90 mins hot yoga then a 5.5m heavy-legged recovery for me. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.