HADD training plan

3,581 to 3,600 of 3,777 messages
25/07/2013 at 15:35

Nice 3080m racing Teknik ... and good follow up run!

Andi my HM PB was run at 6:53/m and 88% maxHR and a month later I ran 6:47/m at 88% maxHR for a 10M PB. My 83% sub-LT pace has generally been around 7:15/m when race fit.

Bike commute PB this morning ... by a minute! Largely due to hammering the hill  at the end ... a good confidence boost before Sunday's tri. Last bike ride this evening but I'm also going to squeeze in 5+ easy miles today and tomorrow.

Edited: 25/07/2013 at 15:37
25/07/2013 at 19:46

Phew its hot.   Some good training going on.

Day 4 of Loch Ness marathon training 11 miles at 9 min a mile ,HR at 117BPM = 73%

Will have to introduce two 80-85% runs a week, as have only 9 weeks left, and after doing one on Tuesday, the fade off was lets say ( a lot ) over one hour.

Andi I find the running shoes are more expensive in France but the Kit is much cheaper.

25/07/2013 at 22:15

Txs for the info Teknic & Dr.Dan I have a feeling my HR will do more than 'creep' up. well done of the ubber fast bike commute, you'll soon be faster than going by car lol.

Well done on the 3k Teknic, I'd train for something like that but imagine it could be as painful as training for a marathon?

Roy, why did you start training so late? and be careful you don't overdo things now and injure yourself! Yup, your correct, my Brooks Vapor 10's were 110 Euro but as they were a(nother) birthday Present I couldn't refuse (could I?).

An easy 6 miles in light rain today (bliss) 8 secs/mile faster than planned MP and 73% of MAX. Roy, you'll probably have time to go to your hotel and shower/change then watch me cross the line

26/07/2013 at 03:23

So foam rolling your IT band is excruciatingly painful. I'm armed with my roller, stretches, and some strengthening exercises. I'll make lemonade. Get stronger and try to conservatively work back to solid running again. Want to protect what I have (nod to Brian) and come back strong. I could always run a marathon later in the season (might have to travel a bit to do it, but that might be OK). Main thing is I want to avoid a prolonged layoff. In addition to strength/stretching, I'll probably do some xtraining (biking, elliptical, fast walking on 15% incline dreadmill, pool running, etc) too. I made huge gains so far this year and want to continue onward. A race is a test, but just one stop on my journey.

OK, done trying to be profound

26/07/2013 at 09:26

Profoundly profound! 

ITBS is a bitch ... one of those injuries you think you've dropped ... until you run and realise it's still lurking. Sounds like you have a plan though!

Andi ... cycling to work is faster than driving.

What's the mara training plan Roy?

As planned, I squeezed in a 5.35M run last night and then another 5.35M this morning. Not cycling today, so I have a full 48 hours to rest/recover for the tri ...

26/07/2013 at 10:10

very profound indeed, VT
Sorry to hear about your IT band issues. I can only begin to imagine how annoying this must be. Hope you can foam-roller it into submission.

Andi: Adder bite/nasty insect bite -- goodness   But you know smoking is real bad, in more ways than one I would concur with Dr. D. in saying that 88% is viable in a HM. 83% would be more like marathon HR when proper race fit. I'm nowhere near

Tek: wow, fast 3k there! Excellent stuff.

A week of zero speed work and lots of TLC has cured the niggles. I just do what I feel like doing this week which is great.
Monday: rest
Tuesday: 9 miles (8:48, 69%)
Wednesday: 14 miles, ran into work (8:38, 68%)
Thursday: 8 miles (8:28, 69%)
Today: 3 miles (naked run)

No sub-LT this week. Mon-Wed next week are supposed to be cooler so hopefully I can get some decent running in.

26/07/2013 at 10:11

Dr Dan: good luck triing

26/07/2013 at 14:26

Chick ... very nice pace for sub-70%! And I know it's been hot ... but naked running!

26/07/2013 at 15:32

that's why I run first thing in the morning:  no-one about

26/07/2013 at 16:21

DD well done on the commute PB  , well done on the runs and good luck for Sunday's Tri

Roy nice 11 miler.  Keep plugging at the subLTs...

Andi good easy run in the rain.  I like the short fast runs but they aren't much help in getting round a marathon...

VT I'm a big fan of pool running when injured

Chick that was a good week, and glad you shook the niggles - like Dan said, that's a great set of sub70 paces

5.5m recovery at 68% then 90 mins hot yoga for me

26/07/2013 at 23:40

LSR was 18 miles, 3:53 @12:57, hr average was 144.

Still the same hilly route, and I am fairly convinced that I simply cant run slow enough to keep the HR ave any lower with it hot. For the first 8 or so miles it was ok, sub 140 for the main part, but once it went up a little, it wouldnt come down except when walking.

Should I just keep at it as I am? or should I try harder to go even slower?

The odd thing is, when I pace my partner, who has short legs and is naturaly slow (we are looking at 15 - 16 mm) I go her speed with little trouble, but I really cant seem to manage that on my own. And she cant do the distance I want. My sunday VEasy runs with her are around 1:45 - 2:00 so very useful.

There are some nice runs being done by you all! I am in awe of the fast runs at low HR's! I can only dream of that. good going all.

27/07/2013 at 02:23

VT, I like your profoundness Sounds like you need to look after yourself but not push things for a while. Running is easy but continuing to run uninjured is the hard part (not exactly as profound but you get my drift lol).

Dr Dan, I cycled to work for a while, not quite as fast as driving but faster than the bus and quickly learnt to become an 'aggresive' cyclist and wouldn't cycle in the gutter. good luck with the Tri and look forward to a 'full' review.

Yes Chick, I know smoking is bad for me but it's been a habit I've only broken a few times in the last 45 years! (started very young lol). As for the 'Adder' bite, my hand is back to normal size and well happy now.  I even had a message from a French Vet today asking for more pictures - my hand is famous lol. Oh, will refrain from commenting on the nekid running!

Teknik, I know what you mean about the short fast runs but 8 secs/mile faster than mp is only 11:08 so not exactly fast here and shall try and concentrate on reducing my HR in runs. I still smirk when I see 'hot yoga' in your activities

CheesyRider (can I call you CR?). I said the other day we seem to be at the same 'level', I did 18 miles last week in 3:55 with HR of 139 (73.8%). Do we run similar 'hilly' routes? mine was 523 metres according to Garmin Connect. I too struggle to keep HR down after hills but am finding I can (sort of) run/jog up most of them now and its just the LSR's that have lots of walk breaks

My planned 10 miler was cut short this afternoon as I felt hungry after the first mile and took a toilet break around 3.5 miles and 'saw' I was dehydrated (TMI?) managed just shy of 7 miles @73%. Mull HM is 11th August so going to try hm distance again this weekend then a 20 miler next and have an easy(ish) week before the race though currently planning to run it easy and prepared to rip my number off if the sweeper casts his (or her) net

27/07/2013 at 11:24

Andi: CR, Cheesey, I answer to anything! Yeah we do seem to be at similar levels, my average yesterday was 77% (186 mhr) so you are up on me there by some way! The climb was 1214ft total. Some of the hills are short sharp inclines, others long and varying levels of steepness. The longest I call kilometer hill (guess why....) and is quite steep in places, although my route only shows it is a 132ft climb in that distance. It sure seems a lot more! That one I drop down to around 14:00 with very short steps and just get into a rythm to get up it. If I manage to keep slow, I can keep HR below 152 ish, just. But again, when I run with Roni, I stay much lower, but cant manage the same on my own yet! I can only describe running with her to be like running on the spot with small forward movement! I also do all this with a light backpack on BTW, usually 3 bottles water and other stuff, I need to keep used to wearing it, so do all my training runs with it on too. I dont think that helps much sometimes, but its a vital part for me.

Your managing 73.8% which is pretty good! I have been trying not to walk in the first 75% of LSR's, which I do find quite hard in this heat, but it does seem to be working, as even yesterday, it was 13 miles before I really had to walk up one of the short steep hills. Is your route Trail or road? Mines mainly compacted rough trail at Bedgebury, or for a break I go around Bewl (live nearby). I have been wondering about finding a less hilly route, even road (which I dont like running on at all) just for the sake of seeing how my HR performs on the flat easier section. Worth trying do you think?

27/07/2013 at 20:16

CR, I guess your HR% is higher cos you continue running? I take walk breaks and have just started giving myself penalty walks if my HR hits 80%. The penalty is to walk until it's back down to 70-72% so I start slowing down more and more to try and stay under (however, am pretty sure walking is oft faster than my attempt at running lol).

I like the name of your nemisis Shall call mine 2 mile hill then, it goes up (and of course down) 400 feet in a shade under 2 miles but does have a couple of plateaus though I find I walk lots of it and it's quite a twisty single track road. Is is easy to get your bottles out of the backpack? I have a 2ltr Camelbak and getting used to it for longer runs now.

I have about 6 routes I usualy run, 1 has a 3 mile stretch of 'proper' road (it has a white line in the middle lol) and the rest of the roads are single track with a choice of a couple of trail runs and all vary between undulating and hilly (no flat runs unless I drive 10+ miles). Yup, if your planning on a road race I think you should spend time in the black stuff

My second 13.1 miles in training today and smashed my previous time by 10:30! ok, still took 2:36:57 but am happier now and 73.4% on a hot day with a 1244ft incline will do me (for now).

I've managed 5 outings so far this week with just 1 day off with my hand and will try to get out tomorrow for a 7 miler and a total of 43 miles and my furthest in a week.

28/07/2013 at 12:19

Cheesy well done on the 18 miler

Andi yup the yoga is "hot" in many ways. It certainly gets me up in the morning. Well done on the 13.1m - that's some climb !

I slogged out my first 20 miler of the campaign this morning.  I had got up early to avoid the heat but notsolittleTek was ill and I couldn't escape until nearly 8am.  It's still hot here despite the rain overnight.  The run went "badly" (9:08 pace at 71%maxHR average), but at least I got the miles banked.

Weeks stats:  69.5m (+2m) in 10h11 @ 8:48mm (+0.11) and avgHR 70% max (unch).

28/07/2013 at 22:21

Txs Teknik and yup, sure felt hilly!

I hope notsolittleTek is feeling better? "badly" isn't a word I'd use if I 9ever) posted 20 mile stats like that

As always, great weekly stats as well

A hard 6.22 miles tonight and was fighting either reducing the HR% from 74% or getting the pace below 12mm's and luckily the last 1/3rd is mainly downhill so averaged 72.87% and 11:55mm.

Weekly stats: 41.7 miles (furthest in a week), 8h06 @ 11:41 and 72.84% avgHR.

29/07/2013 at 00:14

Well, nothing new to report. I haven't done any cardio since my run was cut short last Tuesday. I have, however, done a lot of foam rolling and found a pretty good PT routine (mainly glute strengthening stuff) that I am mastering. I've also gotten loads of sleep (8-10 hrs per night!). I have a big deadline at work this week so might just stretch/PT for a few more days before trying to run again. A really good thing now is that my Achilles has been healing (and the numbness is nearly gone). I think this time off might be a great thing for me. I'll report back when I test the waters later in the week.

30/07/2013 at 10:06

jealous of your sleep hours there, VT   I have to get by on 5 or 6 max.

Cheesy & Tec: nice long runs. Right now I can't imagine to do 20. So glad I'm only training for a half. Marathon training in this heat is a nightmare. I think I'll stick to spring marathons. Of course I'm very likely to start whingeing again when the first sign of snow appears

Major loss of mojo at the end of last week   sooo just a swim on Saturday and a very short run on Sunday. Serious attempt to rediscover mojo last night with another short run, a bike ride to the lake and swim plus a very easy 9 miler (no HRM - Garmin battery was flat) this morning.

Tommygun2    pirate
30/07/2013 at 10:13

Hi all

Well this week is the start of my Hadd running training. I have run twice but am really struggling to get my HR down to 75%. I seem to to get quite a bit of upward drift towards the end of my Run (slow shuffle). I have not had time to analyse the data yet but I will look at the data tonight.

Still, back to back run after 8 months off and the legs feel fine so must be going really slow...I am hping that after a couple of weeks my fitness should start to come back and the HR go down.

30/07/2013 at 14:03

Andi - thanks, and yep he's better now.  Well done on the 10k, and nice stats for the week.

VT enjoy the time off - good news on the Achilles 

Chick I'm sure you'll get back into the swing of things quickly - nice bit of cross training and well done on the easy 9m

Tommy patience, it will take a while. Keep plugging at the miles

14.9m MLR for me - mixed bag of a few on my own on the road, and a club run through the woods.  Absolutely drenched, but managed just under 9mm at 71%, plus a push for the last couple of miles at 8mm without the HR exploding.  Wet but happy.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.