HADD training plan

801 to 820 of 3,777 messages
19/04/2012 at 11:47

Good luck with the foot test Dr Dan. Fingers crossed you'll be back running soon.

Hi Chick, fancy seeing you here!

Roy, the HM was a proper raced effort - didn't wear my heart monitor because I didn't want something else to worry about! I set off with a 1:30 target as I'd run 1:31 in my last half. It felt very comfortable for the first 7 miles at least, and even though I struggled a bit in the last few miles my pace didn't drop off half as much as when I ran my previous PB, which suggests the extra HADD endurance did me good.

This is only my opinion, but I think HR, although a really good guide to how hard your body is working, is still only a guide so I wouldn't want to run a race by it. I'm pretty sure adrenaline etc. would pump it up a bit more than in a training situation and I'd end up holding back unnecessarily in the early stages to keep it under control. I have nothing to back that up btw, but that's just why I decided to run the HM without the monitor and run by feel/pace instead.

19/04/2012 at 16:48
Yep, train to HR but race to pace. Possible exception is a marathon which is much harder to judge by pace (unless you've done lots).
19/04/2012 at 19:12
Thanks one and all for the replys.
20/04/2012 at 08:43

Chikadee/DarenF, Great results. Congrats on employing and sticking to the routine. Fully deserve the improved times for your commitment to the cause.

DrDan, Sorry to hear your continued tale of woe. Hope the foot feels ok on the next test run.

My target race beckons! I am at VLM Sunday hoping to pb at 50. The training has gone as good as it could have. I have no excuses.

20/04/2012 at 09:05
Good luck Brian!
20/04/2012 at 10:47
best of luck, Brian! Go and smash that old PB to pieces
21/04/2012 at 12:31
All the best for tomorrow Brian, and anyone who will be running the VLM,
21/04/2012 at 18:51
Good luck Brian!
25/04/2012 at 08:13

Thanks for the good luck messages chaps!

Came home in 2:55:16, exactly 1min outside my pb. A tad disappointed, cos I really did think I was in shape for a low 2:50. Cracking weekend though and managed to get a pb Sunday night - 5am in the hotel bar!

Dare I say it - Starting to toy with the idea of ultras......

25/04/2012 at 08:46

Not a pb but a brilliant effort, Brian, and well done.

I watched the live program on Sunday and saw Nell McAndrew get home around the same time.

Can you explain how you set your stall out for the Marathon ie. do you target heart rate or pace ? Do you take any gels ? Any specific pre race nutrition ?

25/04/2012 at 14:06
Phwoar - I had no idea you were a sub 3 runner, Brian! Well done . I do like your bar PB ... you may want to pop in on Minni's sub 3:30 thread. We have a bit of a recurring theme involving alcoholic beverages over there
25/04/2012 at 15:17

Been AWOL for quite some time, work, study and family have taken up a lot of time normally devoted to browsing the forums. Still plodding through the miles and whilst the joy of running hasn't returned in waves, I've knuckled down and got on with it. Speed for HR has been improving which is what Hadd's all about and all being well my marathon on Sunday should see another step in the right direction time wise.

25/04/2012 at 21:43
Hi forumites...Just been mulling over a disappointing performance at VLM. Did 3:06 but was aiming for sub 2:55 having done 2:59 at both London and New York

Keen to give Hadd a good go as I tired badly at the end of London and have better times at shorter distances which would seem to indicate a poor aerobic base...
800m 1:55
1500m 3:59
5k 16:20
10k 32:40
Half 1:15.30
Marathon 2:58.50

Would really appreciate any help/guidance on where to start and what potential Mara PB I could look for.

NB my RHR. Is 42 and MHR is 193

Thanks

Michael

26/04/2012 at 10:04

Brian - great run!

GG - you have some great times! Also, in addition to Hadd considerations, check out the Middle Ground thread for some interesting training discussions that seemed to bring good marathon results in recent weeks at VLM and Hull.

26/04/2012 at 14:45

mace, Cheers. Nell's arrival on the Mall was being announced as I rounded the 2nd last bend. She beat me by about 30s.

Since dipping below 3hrs in 2007, I have managed it for my last 6 marathons. I have run by HR in all of them except for this one. I thought I would have a change and run to pace.

I have a tried and tested formula for Marathons - I set of at 87% - 8 beats. Let it increase gradually till hitting 87% at h/w. Then increase up to 87% + 8 beats by the 20mile point. After that I daren't look, but it depends on what condition your legs are in to whether the HR carries on increasing, stays stable or drops!

I take a minimum of 4 gels - at the start, 6M, 12M and 18M. I will take 5 with me, with the option of taking the last one at 22M, if I'm really struggling.

Obviously carbo-load from Thursday lunchtime.

26/04/2012 at 15:27
interesting strategy there, Brian. How does it work in terms of nerves and increased HR at the start of a race? My HR goes through the roof when confronted with an important race so I rarely use HR as a gauge. Stats freak that I am I like my Garmin to record it in the background though
26/04/2012 at 16:40

chickadee, I'm obsessed with the marathon, have been since first trying to break 3 in 1996.

I'm also obsessed with social drinking too........

You are correct the HR does go up when one becomes a little excited. I use relaxation techniques (deep breathing, visualisation etc) to keep it manageable. As soon as I get into my running the nerves disappear, and therefore the HR returns to normal levels. It is a very safe way of running maras. I have run 13 road marathons, none of which were above 3:10, and apart from cramp here and there, the wheels have remained firmly on the wagon. I put this down to safe pacing using HR.

But I have now decided to "have a go" and abandon the safe way in order to better my times. I tend to be too cautious and very rarely run to failure in a race.

26/04/2012 at 16:41
Interesting HR strategy Brian ...  by the way, based on Nell spotting, you must have finsished very close to parkrunfan ... check out his story.
Edited: 26/04/2012 at 16:48
26/04/2012 at 16:45

GG,

Your times are very fast (except for your mara of course), you are obviously a talented runner.

Off your 20mile time of 2:10 I would've expected a low 2:50 from you in the mara. Your HM time of 79:20 points to even quicker. I am guessing your preparation didn't include the correct components for marathon build-up? How many long runs did you do, when and at what pace?

Edited: 26/04/2012 at 16:47
26/04/2012 at 16:55

DrDan, Yes it looks as we weren't too far apart at Amsterdam either. Quality run and quality report. It's lovely when the day turns out as well as it did for him. The training must've gone brilliantly.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.