HADD training plan

1,301 to 1,320 of 3,777 messages
09/10/2012 at 10:30

Guys - dramatic pace downspikes are NOT me falling asleep on my slow run it's actually a road crossing (honest).

09/10/2012 at 10:42

i ran home last night (5 miles) in 55 mins, and back in this morning in 57 mins. Was a very slow plod, but felt tougher this morning, even though the pace was slower. possibly fatigue. I'll be doing the same Wed night/Thurs morning. Logistically much easier than running the same direction each day (i.e. always to, or always from work) because I can ride my bike the other way, and can leave my clothes at work. I swear that half of the challenge of running regularly is logistics and time management

09/10/2012 at 10:46

interesting chart BD2000, it would suggest that your body is getting used to running at that effort. hopefully by wk9 you'll have a steady avg HR just lower down the y axis, for the same effort. Or the HR will remain the same but the pace will be higher.

09/10/2012 at 11:01
AgentGinger wrote (see)
 I swear that half of the challenge of running regularly is logistics and time management

I hear you! Sometimes I cycle in and run home ... and the next day I then run in and cycle home. That really confuses me.

09/10/2012 at 11:41
Commuting is a bugger to get used to. I bought a small 10L backpack designed for running which could be ajusted pretty much perfect and learned to carry the absolute minimum I needed to get through the day. I managed to reduce it down to under 1.5kg in the end its just practice really. it was 7m home along a dead straight cycle path with a strong headwind everytime without fail. In the winter I even got treated to rain aswell. Also you learn to judge what gear you will need 9hrs later pretty well too. thankfully I dont have to do that route 5days a week anymore
09/10/2012 at 12:08

Dr Dan, that's my routine exactly. It confuses my gf even more.

Andy, i carry a small camelbak. I leave my shoes, suit and belt at work permanently (we have lockers which is a help) along with shower stuff. I carefully fold my ironed shirts each morning into a small package and pack them, remarkably they arrive relatively uncreased, then take them back in the evening. It's a fairly neat routine once you get into the swing of it. I don't mind the cold at all (i'd rather run in sub zero than 20 degree heat) but the combination of cold, wind and rain is miserable. Saying that, it's arguably better running through bad weather on the pavement than cycling through it on the road, next to all the buses and trucks.

Given that my run home is only 5 miles and at my current sluggish pace is ~55mins, if i do ever get any quicker at this effort then I'll need to add some sort of detour to keep it at around an hours run.

09/10/2012 at 12:28
AG, slightly jealous you get sbowers. I could only run home because of no showers so I had 7M x 5 days = 35mpw to supplement regular training. Would of done 70 other wise. I ran home because it occured to me one day that its stupid driving home 7miles then doing a 7m training run. So sold the car an bussed in to work an ran home. Saved a wedge by doing this.
09/10/2012 at 12:38
AG- your right about the weather though I used to find it okay knowing that I had a hot shower and a hot dinner waiting so obviously in winter I did end up doing many tempo runs of about 46/47mins whereas in summer I used to do about 50mins nice an steady because like you I never loved the heat to be honest.

When you get quicker you could probably just tag bits on cant you to make up the difference?
09/10/2012 at 14:58

Take my hat off to you guys commuting. I have done it in the past (11miles each way on the canal, 9miles on the road), but would hate to have to do it especially in the Winter.

I have the luxury of a 2hour lunch window and a shower at work. Thankyou God!

Last hard run yesterday (4M tempo), in taper mode now.

09/10/2012 at 15:24

I'm like you Brian and have the lunchtime option plus shower at work ... I prefer to cycle to/from work and run lunchtimes. But at the moment I'm too lazy to cycle.

09/10/2012 at 15:35
Dr.Dan wrote (see)

But at the moment I'm too lazy to cycle.

Dr Dan that made me smile. cheers. small things eh

14/10/2012 at 11:52

Nice result yesterday in my battle to run at a low HR. A fortnight ago I did an 8.4 mile run at 131AHR (78% of MHR), yesterday the same run at 123 AHR(73%MHR) - slower time but that is not the point.

I actually think HADD has got it wrong when he suggests the HR to run at for MHR of 193,183,173,163. They are all  MHR-50bpm which then gives relative MHR of 74,72.71,69%. There is nothing in his article to suggest 70 is better than 75% other than a scientific study that says 70%  gave better results than 85%.

70% for me would be 118 which will be very difficult to achieve whereas 75% is 126 - much more manageable.

14/10/2012 at 14:10

All long runs are at 108 ave bpm for 11miles to 20 miles at 70% and lower, 70% being 112 bpm

This equates to 10 mins a mile.

With very little drift and no water drank till about mile 15 ish, but this does depend on the weather. I am finding the current climate quite pleasant for long runs, as my core temperature remains stable , I can keep my HR down but still maintain a steady even pace.  

14/10/2012 at 21:48

Pretty impressive Roy  - very low HR for long runs

15/10/2012 at 10:07

Week 6 on HADD

All runs are now 60 mins or more - I only seem to be able to get out 4 times a week so I've decided to try and make them all quality. Still on my 'Base Phase' and although still no improvement in pace, there is an improvent in HRav stability.Each run is between 70% - 73% MHR which actually equates to the MHR-50bpm that JonnyBike was discusing. This also equates to my 5K pace +3mins so I guess there is plenty of merit in HADD's figures - although I'm sure they will not 'fit' the same for everyone....

Initially had a 9 week plan for this phase - may need to extend this to 12 weeks as I want to get to a 90 min run with no major change in HRav. Don't think this will put March HM in jeopordy in terms of aiming for PB but there's plenty of time yet. It may be that something will 'kick in' within the next few weeks.

Once I see an improvement in pace I will start introducing some 80% sessions twice a week - and that will be a whole new ball game! This is going to take longer but I guess that shows how unaerobically fit I was previously to starting HADD.

15/10/2012 at 15:05

Hi guys - sorry, haven't been posting on here for quite some time now.

It's good to see the thread so active. Very very happy to report I smashed that sub 3:30 with a 3:29:15 (9min 23sec PB) and pretty convinced it was all down to my HADD base building. Marathon training itself was an adapted form of the 12-week P&D schedule but on most runs I stuck to the 70% rule. Never felt so good in a marathon before  so thank you Mr. Hadd .

At those just starting out and struggling with pace: stick with it.

15/10/2012 at 15:47

well done Chickadee, great time, and great improvement on your previous PB. I'm very early days in "HADD" base building training, so good to hear encouragement that improvements will come if I keep the faith.

15/10/2012 at 16:00

Hi again.   I am still sticking with this.  Well sort of.   I run at about 74% HR and have come down from 10 min miles to about 9 min miles.   Been erratic with milage tho

15/10/2012 at 17:34

Hi Chickadeee,

Well done! Sounds like you had a wonderful race. Congrats.

My target Marathon was yesterday (I obviously was not running). Was a bummer that I never reached the start, but next year could be good. Just finished another successful week (35 miles). Still seem to be getting better each week so I'll stick at this mileage for a while yet. HR is coming back down on my runs. If I can stay injury free I could be in a very good position for a strong spring or fall marathon.

16/10/2012 at 09:56

Good to see plenty of HADDING going on.

Chick' - fantastic pb, huge congratulations  What was your strategy for the Mara, HR or PACE ???

VT - sorry you missed out, but onwards and upwards, i'm sure there are great things ahead of you

I've been fairly quiet since my Half on 30th Sept and did 8M and 30M in the 2 weeks since. Niggly achilles for a week after the race then just as i got rid of that a stinker of a head cold swamped me for most of last week so i was quite pleased with 30M considering.

Plan now is to HADD away until xmas and hopefully get up to 50M weeks ( i did 40's for most of Aug/Sept with a biggest week of 44) and then pick one of the P+D schedules for Brighton. I'm tempted to go for the 55-70 but it looks pretty daunting right now so i'll see how i get on with 50's before i decide 

1,301 to 1,320 of 3,777 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.