HADD training plan

1,421 to 1,440 of 3,777 messages
24/10/2012 at 15:51
Cheers Brian. I really appreciate the answers you have given to make hadd seem more understandable. I've done all my hadd runs on the relatively flat local cycle path to minimise interuption (road crossings ect). Also by going out and back for 30mins I now have a bit of a benchmark so in 12 months time hopefully I might get another half mile or so in the same time for same effort.

Usually just a new battery job that is I reckon.
24/10/2012 at 17:08

I have just realised that I have knocked 40 secs off my 5k time with almost no speed work and the training is either 70% or 80%.effort.

Andy you will knock more than you think, in one years time of HADD.

24/10/2012 at 17:19

Andy - nice numbers. A steady start is always good, even for the sub-LT sessions.

Roy - amazing how much aerobic base you need for 5K. The fast sessions are important to get the best out of yourself in the end game, but so muich comes from base.

Brian - nice long run there. I have found that you can wreck those flat HRM 2032 batteries by simply handling them, so maybe that's why it conked out just after a clean.

24/10/2012 at 21:19

9M ( 85 mins) tonight so now it's time to feed "Brian the stats monster"

Mile        Time          HR        %

1            9:01           116        64         50ft descent

2            9:00           122        67         50ft descent

3            9:31           121        67

4           10:11          127        70        100ft ascent

5            9:28           126        70

6            9:42           126        70

7            9:29           127        70

8            9:28           128        71

9            9:14           130        72

TOT        9:27           125        69

My days of 11m/m and struggling to keep the drift down over 5 miles seem so long ago now

24/10/2012 at 21:30

Does anybody else find their HR higher for the same pace in the evening compared to morning ? I reckon i'm consistently 5bpm more. Is that normal ?

24/10/2012 at 21:40
mace, good numbers on your 9miler. Strangely enough I find my hr higher in the morning than lunchtime. Very rarely run in the evening and when I do it tends to be the second run of the day and as such the hr is higher naturally. That doesn't help does it?
25/10/2012 at 08:43
Ye mace I'm having higher hr in evenings. Yesterday in the evening 30min out an back got me 6.83m whereas in the morning, same route, conditions, course I managed 7m. Not worried about it or owt but just interestin gettin to know how different things effect it.
25/10/2012 at 10:39
mace wrote (see)
My days of 11m/m and struggling to keep the drift down over 5 miles seem so long ago now

Good news mace! Like Brian, I don't really run in the evenings very often.

5.4 recovery miles yesterday and another 10.6 easy miles today. Today's run was an early start on the canal - the 8 miles on the towpath came out at 9:10/m, for 124 bpm avHR (70% maxHR).

25/10/2012 at 10:46
DrDan, some more good numbers. I'm at home this morning just about to go out and run 6.5 hilly road miles. Go-karting this aft with my lad and his mates.
25/10/2012 at 10:49

mace - yep, higher in the evenings - and days of struggling with 11m/m are still with me, so its good to note that I should be able to get towards your current numbers (with some effort I'm sure). All my runs are now over 60 mins and definitely getting easier - still a way to go before pace and HR consistent over 8 miles but I'm feeling the benefit after only 7 weeks.

25/10/2012 at 11:09

Brian - stick your heart monitor on whilst karting!!!

25/10/2012 at 12:29
I'm hoping to have go at HADDing over the next few months

Trying to get up to 50 miles a week first though

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my max heart rate though

I did Chester marathon a few weeks ago average HR 159 although it was in the high 160's the last few miles.
Did a parkrun on Saturday to try and get max HR but only got 165(less than marathon)
Any other advise on getting max?
25/10/2012 at 12:56

Mugp - this is taken from the HADD document - should help.

First off, what I did with Joe was ask him to do a simple (but tough) test to determine his HRmax. I asked him to go to a track and warm up, stretch and do some strides as if preparing for a race. Then (wearing his HRM) he was to run an all-out 800m and note the highest HR recorded on his monitor. He was to rest 2 mins and run an all-out 400m. The highest number he would see as he crossed the finish-line, we would take as his HRmax. Since HRM’s can sometimes be tricky and go blank or haywire at the wrong moment, he was to have someone there to be ready to immediately manually take his pulse for 6 seconds (and multiply by 10). This proved not to be necessary, since his HRM read 193

25/10/2012 at 13:01
No track available to me but I've got a flat,sheltered road I can do the 800/400 on
Thanks
25/10/2012 at 13:21
Mug, from your Mara hr my guess is your max will be 180.

6.5 miles at 8.25 pace. No hr as new battery didn't work either
25/10/2012 at 13:25
Remember though, you're supposed to be fresh to get a good max reading, you obviously aren't. I'd assume 180 for now and do the max test when you are properly recovered.
25/10/2012 at 13:38

Bad luck on the HRM Brian ...  also having technical problems as my footpod fell off on the way to Hyde Park on Tuesday (first time in 4 years!). I back-tracked and found it on the pavement but it no longer clicks into place on the holder on my trainer. My old garmin FR50 doesn't do sat nav, so I have no way of estimating pace/mileage anymore. Might have to resort to super glue to get me through the Abbey Dash.

25/10/2012 at 16:10

jeez, a lot of broken gadgets on here at the mo

mace: great improvement   My HR is the higher in the evenings too. Generally, as of lunchtime onwards I find it's around 5 bpm higher. I find it also harder to run later in the day. I'd much rather get up at silly o'clock and get the run out of the way ... 

Having a bit of a struggle with the CNBA fairy this week . Monday designated rest day, so that was ok. Tuesday: CNBA fairy attacked and won. Speedwork yesterday. Left hammy & calf twingy since then. Feeling another argument with the fairy coming on  (don't run, your leg hurts  (run, it'll make you feel better). aaargh!!

26/10/2012 at 08:48

Brian - i'd say higher HR in the morning IS strange unless you're doing 10 milers in your sleep  or maybe it's a " SUB-3" thing

atd - it's good not to worry too much about HR ( i've been guilty ) and just concentrate on enjoying your runs. Too much faffing about takes away the enjoyment

BD - keep with it, your patience will be rewarded

mugpunter - welcome and good luck. I've had some great advice on this thread from some very experienced people who know their onions

Dan - sorry to hear of the tech hiccup  ... good luck with the Dash

chick' - generally i also find evenings harder and prefer to get it done in the morning knowing people are wasting their time sleeping while i'm plodding the streets. Less people/traffic about too  

@ the CNBA fairy, think she's been having a go at me lately as well. This time of year has traditonally ( before i got more serious ) been about the time she wins me over until new year but with a marathon booked in April she can do one

Anyway, this MORNING 6.55M in 60 mins = 9.11m/m @ 125 HRav ( 69% ) .... 16 seconds per mile quicker than Weds EVENING for the same effort  

26/10/2012 at 11:20

LOL, mace . Well, I won in the end and kicked the fairy into oblivion. 5 done in the wind & rain which was actually quite enjoyable in a slightly perverse kind of way. Then another 7 this morning, first time in hat & gloves . VERY cold out there all of the sudden. But I like cold a lot more than heat

1,421 to 1,440 of 3,777 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.