HADD training plan

1,881 to 1,900 of 3,777 messages
30/11/2012 at 16:48

This is starting to pay off a bit now

Did 9 miles today at 70 % getting a lot better now and noticing my speed coming back, HR improving. 44 miles this week, got Wrexham on Sunday with Gaz that'll be 50 for the week the most i've ever done so happy days...

30/11/2012 at 17:25

More Stats for Brian

I've been looking back over the last 12 weeks since starting HADD and put together some figures:

Weeks 1-3 11:31 av pace @71% av

Weeks 4-6 11:36 av pace @72% av

Weeks 7-9 11:10 av pace @73% av

Weeks 10-12 11:06 av pace @73% av

Steady Eddy is the name of the game - ridiculously slow pace but an improvement in average pace of 25 secs per mile

30/11/2012 at 17:29

Don't know what the hell happened there ?

30/11/2012 at 17:32

AM glad you are now convinced , and seeing results

Edited: 30/11/2012 at 17:32
30/11/2012 at 17:45

Great news BD. Good luck Sunday Ash, wrap up warm!!

NN, if you enjoy the club runs then I'd keep doing them. 

30/11/2012 at 17:58

NN - I have stopped running temporarily with my club for the same reason.

Pace was too quick and I was getting niggling injuries. I will go back at some point and use it as an 80% run - but that could be a while yet

30/11/2012 at 20:40

Brian and Keir,

Funny you guys should both suggest running tall. I've noticed over the past year that I'll have times where I just feel great on the run...and I quickly figure out that I am 1) running tall and 2) taking smaller, steps. I think the past year of hadding has led to a more efficient stride. Even when I was doing the 80% runs, that's how my form was starting to work. As a former sprinter, I just love to take big strides and eat up the track. Not necessarily a good thing now that I'm a distance only guy.

Had a good run yesterday Brian, thanks for asking. There is a guy at work who asked if he could tag along with me on a run a few weeks ago. He's a bit slower than me and we ran so both of us could talk (well, he was puffing a bit, but still talking). ANyway, he runs probably 30-40 sec/mile slower. We've now adoted going for 2 runs during the work week. It's great for me as I talk the whole way an my ave HR is at 70% and below. A built-in regulator! ALso, I had forgotten how nice it is to run with someone. For the past 4 years I have done every run, minus my races, solo.

Buried a friend today so no run; will devote a nice one to him over the weekend.

30/11/2012 at 20:44
Keir wrote (see)

AtD - the pace there is awesome, but as we all know, that is just relative. The thing which is really impressive for me is to see the consistency of the avge HR and also how close max is at every split (other than the first, for obvious reasons). To peak at 1 -2% above ave HR for each mile is a really impressive even pacing of effort. 

Keir i`ve been doing these efforts on me own though so far because this way i can do them on the local cycle path dictating the pace myself and with it being onthe cycle path its very easy to do an out and back turning around at halfway when it suits me. i feel this is one of those sessions which has to be done on your own really in my opinion. because everyones 80% is different.

30/11/2012 at 20:57
Brian. wrote (see)

I stumbled upon this on the net recently. It's another angle on the Hadd approach, and makes for interesting reading.

http://www.freedomsrun.org/Training/TrainingAerobic.aspx

interesting read Brian this is. the aerobic bit is anyway. i`d be a bit unsure about consciously changing the stride that comes natural though. because of the whole compensation injury issue.

interestingly though last month i started to get a bit of a niggle on the outside of my shin (left leg) last month, i noticed that over time my form had changed without me realising. i used to run a fair bit each week in the Vibrams, completely injury/niggle free, because the vibrams forced me to relax my running style completely. anyway i went out in them again last month for 3 runs, all several days apart. did 1mile, 2mile and 3mile. stopped the bad running form in its tracks. they dont arf strengthen up your feet

01/12/2012 at 11:25

Morning peeps,thought this was an appropriate place to share...

It's been a worrying few weeks here: Had an ECG and it came up with signs of Left Ventricular Hypertrophy.  Visit to the cardiologist followed by an echocardiogram, followed by another cardio visit this morning ended with...I do have LVH but it's physiological not pathological.  My heart now has "above average" function and I can truly call myself an "athlete" as I have "Athlete's Heart". 

I guess that's what running 3 marathons and 2,049 miles in 11 months does...

Knee still sore but I'm running again...

01/12/2012 at 13:16
Hi Tek. Hope the knee calms down. What's the impact to your running of the heart diagnosis ?
01/12/2012 at 13:45

AGF - nothing - it's a common result in athletes, i.e.enlarged/toughened heart muscle. So I just keep running... 

01/12/2012 at 13:49
Brill
01/12/2012 at 14:19

Tek, I've read your post a few times and can't decide whether congratulations or concern are in order over the LVH!

01/12/2012 at 14:36

Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic.  LVH is usually bad news as it's a symptom of some problem eg high blood pressure / thickened arteries.  However LVH can also be merely a physiological reaction to aerobic training... like my legs, the heart muscle has just got bigger/tougher...so, good news

01/12/2012 at 15:06

Right!!

01/12/2012 at 15:09
Interesting that is TEKNIK. I had an ECG on thursday, only this time they put me on the dreadmill. To be honest the look on the doctors face when doing 5:30pace at 170bpm (85%max) was just priceless. I take it he'd not had to many runners before.
01/12/2012 at 15:13

Andy - LOL

01/12/2012 at 15:26

Is it possible to have a winter max heart rate and a summer max heart rate?

can not get my HR above 150 bpm, yet in the summer closer to 160! bit confused!

01/12/2012 at 17:35

Roy, the heat kills my heart rate in the summer. this year after an hour or so at 140-145 BPM I was slipping down from 8 mins/ mile to over 9 when it was hot. I stopped wearing the HRM in the end. 

Edited: 01/12/2012 at 17:40
1,881 to 1,900 of 3,777 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.