HADD training plan

1,941 to 1,960 of 3,777 messages
04/12/2012 at 17:16
Just had a bit of a read on hadd again and found this brian. I thought my 85% pace was scary but if I'd of tried to keep it going for 10mins or so I probably would of had some drift, in theory this is what what I'm aiming for I think:- You are trying to reach a state where your predicted/expected marathon pace and your 170 HR pretty much coincide in the 2400m test. And that this pace per mile can be maintained in training for 10-15 miles at 170-175 HR without rising effort or rising HR
04/12/2012 at 18:04

Yes I managed to do 8 miles with no pain!

04/12/2012 at 18:26
Nice one Spen. Progress.
04/12/2012 at 18:46

So today my one of workers comes into my office and says "you made the cover of the paper". Sure enough, somehow I was randomly photographed while running and got my 2 seconds of fame at work.

They should have written, guy "hadding" instead of "running"

http://blogs.burlingtonfreepress.com/weather/2012/12/04/vermont-snow-lovers-nervous-as-warmth-continues/

04/12/2012 at 20:37

Hooray! Spen's back! Good to see you running again Spen. It's been a while. Well done on keping the faith.

Nice bum shot VT 

After 3rd night in a row of cleaning up shit and sick all night from my 9mth and 3yr old (6yr old sleeps like a log) I felt knackered this morning, so skipped the early planned 90min run and squeezed in a 60min after work instead. Not feeling too well myself now though, so will try to get to bed for 9.

04/12/2012 at 21:24

Spen, awesome news! Very exciting when you can get going again. And just in time for the holidays.

05/12/2012 at 11:47

StewartC, Seems reasonable. Hopefully the HR will drop for that pace. Is the group running slower or faster?

AtD, Credit to you, saving up to fund full-time training is a very brave thing to do. You deserve all the success you possibly can get. I am a little concerned though. If you're full-time surely a little gym work isn't out of the question? Doing 100+ miles per week, you are going to be rapidly breaking down muscle. I've never coached elites, but I think maybe you should start to think like one. What do the top guys on the sub-3 thread do, when hitting the high mileage? I would be gutted for you if you were to get an overuse injury at this point.

Santa, Remember everybody's different. Guidelines suggest that 90% average is not unheard of for 10miles/HM. But of course, this depaends on where your lactate threshold is. And that is the crux of the Hadd training - training below the LT, helping to push it up as far as possible. BTW, I'd like a red ferrari and a 25 year old au pair

Spen, result!

VT, Fame at last! And your still talking to us.

05/12/2012 at 11:58

Brian, the group runs can be quicker it all depends on the group I'm assigned too, last night for example the group was a slow one, 4.6 miles at 11:32mm 142avgHR there was a hill on the route which elevated the heart rate, actually I've notice any sort of incline can push the rate up considerably, hopefully this will also improve over time.

05/12/2012 at 13:44

hohoho, Brian . Not sure Mrs. Brian will be too keen on the 25 year old au pair  (or the Ferrari for that matter).
I think you hit the nail on the hadd (pun intended). Those HM heart rates were pre Hadd, so I may surprise myself one fine day and run a half at 90%.

spen: that's great news

VT: that's hilarious! I love those random appearances in the paper.

05/12/2012 at 17:16
brian should I say brain really, more appropriate lol
Thanks for the last post there. You've never coached but you do know the usefull stuff, I ain't ran yet today. First non runing day in 25 days. So am thinking of going an doing some core work in the garage. Another thing I'm fortunate enough with is that I have a really good space for floor/bodyweight exercises + skipping + pull ups and have a weight bench ect so the only thing really is just to get in there. Not running this morning has afforded me the energy to do it.

Also a club mate gave me a plan to follow (a4 sheet) and its legs core and arms so simple but very effective. Will go now an do level 1 to start, so I can run in the morning rather than hobble.
thanks again.
06/12/2012 at 08:07

AtD, you know it makes sense. I "know" somebody who has something inspirational written on the back of the garage door....

06/12/2012 at 08:36

Popping in my first 80%er tonight - middle 20mins of an hours session.

I'll let you know tomorrow!

06/12/2012 at 10:42
Going to do core work more regular from more on. It wasn't that bad the. The plan I have goes from level 1 right up to the dizzy heights of level 11 with DOZENS & DOZENS of pull ups for example. The whole plan is body weight exercises alone just need a pull up bar and a floor. Everyone has a floor lol.

Wayhay, not sore today either. Win.

Brian I've started reading the sub 3 thread about 3 days ago and am not sure who's on what mileage at the moment really an what sort of strength work they do. I'm also a little reluctant to delurk because there having a right good debate about peoples training methods in 80's and how people these days seem to all wamt grants/funding ect, dont wanna get branded lol. Might wait till talk moves on before raising me head in there
06/12/2012 at 10:44
BD2000 have a good session there.
06/12/2012 at 11:10

AtD, Yes been reading the debate with interest. But haven't posted for a while. I feel intimidated there for some reason.

BD2000, Hope the 80%er goes ok. Relax and let it happen.

Santa, the ferrari is for me, the au pair is for Mrs B

06/12/2012 at 12:19

hehehe, Brian

I'm so rubbish with my core exercises... and you really don't need a fancy gym. I have resistance bands, a yoga mat and a Swiss ball in the spare room at home.... but somehow I manage each time to bypass it in favour of the lounge and the telly

Hope your 80% sesh goes well, BD.

06/12/2012 at 17:03

Evening all. I see this thread has been as active as ever in my absence!

Time for me to start the process of building up mileage again! I had 2 weeks of full rest after the Abbey Dash but on Monday I re-started with a double run commute  to/from work (2x5M), repeated it yesterday, and will do it again tomorrow. Not feeling too great so far ... it might be a few weeks before I even think about a sub-LT.

06/12/2012 at 17:07
santa, Brian to be honest I agree there, a proper gym is a bit redundant if you know the basic idea of press ups, situps, squats an so on.

Brian I think its just the strong opinions that make it intimidating.
Point of interest: have you seen the newly released welsh selection standards for the commonwealth games 2014 glasgow. 2:18 the standard is. 5:16 mile pace. Thats like my 5k pb pace. Got me wondering though.
06/12/2012 at 17:23

HADDing (or my bastardised version of it) is going well, I'd have to say.

All going well this week should be my first 40mile week, my highest weekly mileage ever. Fingers crossed i've suffered no injuries since i started running again in August, probably due to covering the miles at low intensity. A month or so back I had a wobbly period where I felt really tired, but that was perhaps not enough rest and/or nutrition, but seems to have passed now, and i'm feeling awake, strong, and comfortable on my runs. i've got 2 more full weeks of this type of training before I start the P&D 18 week plan in preparation for the Manchester marathon, so I'm really pleased that the slower running over the last few months seems to have been worthwhile.

06/12/2012 at 17:38

Saw the PT lady today. Did a full core work session and the sports hernia injury did not flare up. So far, so good. I'll be gradually adding core work each week now. I have been doing one session each week for the past month without problems. Now I'll try several times per week, and if that goes well, we'll start diversifying the exercises and intensity. My goal is to be able to do all core type exercises pain free and then make it a solid staple of my weekly training (and hopefully stay on the road through the race this time).

Also of note, this past week my runs have been about 20-30 seconds faster per mile at say a 73-75% effort. Good energy too. I think it represents my latest gain. I'm naturally pushing the pace without added effort.

Edited: 06/12/2012 at 17:39
1,941 to 1,960 of 3,777 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.