Hadd's Approach to Distance Running

21 to 28 of 28 messages
10/10/2009 at 19:06
Did you find that 40-45 miles a week was your maximum pre Hadd then - any more and you suffered injury or fatigue ?   
10/10/2009 at 19:51

No, not really.  It's just at that point I decided to try Hadd and it was a very easy way of adding mileage. It was just what I decided to do.  Have to say when I was running 40-45 a week I was probably running the "easy" runs too hard!

Hadd forced me to slow down (a good thing) which allowed my body to be ready for the long runs. Long runs prior to Hadd were quite a slog before this.  So yeah, less fatigue come Sundays....

10/10/2009 at 23:26
Kryten - great link, thanks!  If the guy's conclusions are correct it's made me feel more comfortable about keeping in a moderate amount of LT or faster training in prep for a marathon, since one of the main conclusions is that it doesn't adversely affect aerobic conditioning. Think I'll borrow it for the sub-3 thread if that's OK, since there are a couple of people there HADDing/Lydiarding/base training at the moment. 
Rc.    pirate
11/10/2009 at 18:13

Having read JL Parkers book and starting to build an aerobic base using his methods do you think that Hadds methods are better for this or do you feel that there isnt much between them? I am currently running 25 miles per week and building on the mileage.

Having read Hadds thread (but using Parkers formula to find HR) I find there is like nearly 10bpm difference. Or do I not have enough miles per week to make a real difference at the minute?

26/10/2009 at 16:53

Kryten
good link - the critical part about the paper in relation to the base conditioning phase - and it is important that this phase is studied in isolation is "So in conclusion, after considering the arguments of both Maffetone and Hadd, I can see no reason for avoiding moderate amounts of running near or even above the lactate threshold during the conditioning phase, provided excess cortisol production is avoided."

Now I don't know about you all but I have difficulty determining lactate threshold tolerance level from HR never mind when the body may or may not be producing cortisol !!!

Periodisation in training is important and if a base phase of steadily increasing mileage of 12 weeks or so is carried out without exceeding lactate threshold levels except on occasional bits up hills etc then the aerobic system efficiency will be maximised.

Thereafter increasing quantities of higher threshold training may be introduced and this will benefit both aerobic and anaerobic systems. But getting the  foundations of aerobic conditioning right in the first place enables that subsequent phase to be successfully undertaken with less stress.

09/10/2012 at 09:43
I think 2 hr runs at 70 to 80% of hr max 2 to 3 days a week every other day allows you to grow more capilaries and more mitacondria giving u more power at lower hr.
09/10/2012 at 09:44
My best time marathon is 2 hrs 44
09/10/2012 at 11:09

Eddie - you're answering a 3 year old thread ... there's a new Hadd thread here:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/hadd-training-plan/181933.html

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.