Half Marathon- No Long Runs

5 messages
13/09/2012 at 10:54

I signed up for a half marathon a few months ago and i have been getting out most mornings for runs of about 6 miles. I am fairly fit anyway as i have been running regularly (15- 30miles per week) for almost a year and i do about 3 to 4 tough spinning classes a week too. The only thing is I have been neglecting my long runs and its been a good while since i have ran more than 7 miles. My half marathon is in 2 weeks so i plan on getting out this weekend for a 10 - 12 mile run this weekend. I'm worried that i am totally underprepared though. I dont care about the time i finish in as i just want to enjoy it. I feel very fit so do you think my fitness will be ok and i can finish or am i being completely ridiculous?

13/09/2012 at 11:00

If you take it slow I expect that you have enough base fitness to finish. It may not be a pleasant experience during or after, but you've got a base fitness that should allow you to run for that long at an easy pace.

13/09/2012 at 12:21

+1 for running slow.  If you run at the pace you normally cover upto 6 miles, you will really suffer later on making the last four or five miles miserable & painful.

Accept that your endurance isn't ideal to cover the complete distance, and you should make it through. 

13/09/2012 at 12:24

Running six miles most mornings.  

13/09/2012 at 12:26

Thanks for the replies. I have done some long runs here and there in the past few months of 10-12 miles and i have never had any problems, i just took my time and enjoyed myself. I plan on doing the same for the race and hopefully i'll be ok.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.