Half marathon pacing

21 to 40 of 48 messages
06/03/2013 at 07:01

this was very interesting read guys, i have been lurking with interest

06/03/2013 at 07:42

lurk no more Curly!!  Terrible bags under your eyes by the way ! 

06/03/2013 at 08:03
Fascinating stuff. I think ive had the same problem. I've got a half in a couple of weeks and I suppose I figured I've done plenty of miles so no need to worry about stamina. So main sessions have been a midweek 10M w 6M at HMP then weekend progressive up to 12M (been reading too many of the sub 3 marathon threads).

Last weekend I did a 15M lsr and was surprised how hard I found it. Legs definitely started to drag over last few miles. I'll read through all the info properly and make sure I don't neglect my aerobic system next time.
06/03/2013 at 08:09

again get on the HADD thread there are folk there who've been through this and can help you.

06/03/2013 at 09:29

Dan - it would be good to give us an update on what you decide to do and if you go with 'the program' what you are doing   ....maybe join the HADD thread as there are experts on there who will help you.  The first phase will be support through their experiences - pace and prgoress at first is very frustrating, so doubts might creep in!!

Like the phrase you have to learn to walk before you can run, it is about learning to run slow to help you run fast!  Im about 5 weeks in to my plan - again it is not quite HADD but is very similar and has the same basic principles - and my pace has started to look less embarassing, to be honest on my first few runs it looked like i was a runner whom someone had taken the walking stick from!  I had some 'power walkers' nearly pass me at one point!!

06/03/2013 at 10:04

Fantastically helpful thread, great read, thanks all!

06/03/2013 at 11:00

Lou: what you have to remember with the sub-3 guys is that the rewards reaped in terms of race times aren't just down to those high-quality progressive runs, but also down to the months and years of getting the steady miles in.

07/03/2013 at 09:37

I was running nice and easy last year and started to get some good times towards the end of the year, but I guess in my enthusiasm I've ramped up the pace a bit too much since Christmas.  I'm a bit time-poor so I'm probably looking for maximum benefit for limited time.  I still do at least 2 easy 5-6 milers each week, but have been pushing the pace on my weekend 'long' run.  

Second calf strain in as many months suggests I need to slow it down a bit.

I'll have a look at the HADD thread, perhaps go back to basics a bit.

07/03/2013 at 09:50

personally Lou I think you should do youre weekend run nice and easy and if you feel the need to push the pace do that in the mid week runs.  focus on the amount of time and the quality rather than the pace and distance.  Your runs must have a purpose/objective you should know why you are running it and why at that pace and time etc etc.

Try doing all your runs at less than 75% of MaxHR or very very easy conversational pace running if you dont have a HRM and bolt on your need for speed [if it is needed] by adding in some strides at the end.

Vary your terrain and this might reduce calf problems and make sure you stretch a lot.

07/03/2013 at 10:14
Leecampbelluk wrote (see)

Dan - it would be good to give us an update on what you decide to do and if you go with 'the program' what you are doing   ....maybe join the HADD thread as there are experts on there who will help you.  The first phase will be support through their experiences - pace and prgoress at first is very frustrating, so doubts might creep in!!

Like the phrase you have to learn to walk before you can run, it is about learning to run slow to help you run fast!  Im about 5 weeks in to my plan - again it is not quite HADD but is very similar and has the same basic principles - and my pace has started to look less embarassing, to be honest on my first few runs it looked like i was a runner whom someone had taken the walking stick from!  I had some 'power walkers' nearly pass me at one point!!

Hey heres an update on last nights run. Decided to attempt a 10+ mile slow run, mapped out a course that was quite varied with some small hills and plenty of flats. I get bored so easily running the same old route! 

Started off at a nice 10:30 pace and was fine for the first mile or so, the pace crept up though so i slowed to 11 mins and kept it like this for the whole run, well I slipped into a 12 going uphill.

I covered the first 4 miles easily, my legs were fine and I was able to talk and was not out of breath at any point so definatley in the anearobic zone.

I got to the 6 mile mark and my thighs and calves were tiring slightly but this came and went, in any case if I was running at my regular 9 min pace I know I would have been far more tired.

The stretch from 6-9 miles was all flat and my pace was creeping into the 11:30 min and my legs were slightly more tired and aching at this point as was my lower back. However I knew if I wanted to I had the energy in reserve to speed it up for a few miles which was a good feeling. Ran back along the prom to my house and that was 11.5 miles covered but that last half mile hurt and when I stopped my legs felt like lead. In fact they are still like lead today even after a really good stretch last night.

All in all I think this method of training is really good and seems to work for me, I will continue this plan but I guess I wont know if it works properly until I try upping the pace after a few more long runs.

Just a side note, my time for last years HM was 2.04 mins for the 13.1 miles. Last night I ran for 2:05 and covered 11.5miles , is this slow enough? Or too slow?

Thanks guys!

07/03/2013 at 10:15

Oh can someone provide the HADD link as cant find it thanks.

07/03/2013 at 10:26

link to HADD  http://www.angio.net/personal/run/hadd.pdf

Do you have a HRM?  As it is running at certain HR zones that count the main one being 75% of maxHR. The pace at that rate is likely to be really slow at first!

In My view when you reduce your pace you also [counter intuiative] need to reduce the mileage and build back up - you haven't been using your slow twitch muscles quite so much so they will tire - which would seem to be the case.

Assume your are refuelling within 20mins with plenty of protein and carbs to help reduce tiredness.

Read the doc and get on the HADD thread for help, there are people on there who have done HADD for years!

07/03/2013 at 11:57

Yes I use the HR monitor on my Garmin, I have yet to check the HR results but towards the end I had a quick check and it was about 140-50. The best thing I find about this method is that I wasnt out of breath or exhausted at any point, it was just my legs and back that were feeling it, if I can fix that with HADD alone Ill be over the moon. I think its a bit late to utilise it for the HM next weekend but Ill certainly use it to train after that.

Im buying new trainers as well as my 2170's are done, this might be why my legs were tiring early as well.

Thanks for the link Ill check it our at lunch!

07/03/2013 at 14:51

Sorry didnt mean that link, I already have that printed out and almost finished it. I meant a link to the HADD thread? Thanks

07/03/2013 at 15:03
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/hadd-training-plan/181933-141.html
07/03/2013 at 16:07

Thanks!

07/03/2013 at 16:30

Dan - not so sure about HADD fixing anyhting other than being fairly low on the injury front   .the legs might be tired as I explained earlier but the back might be somehting else   ...physio time maybe?!  Possibly too late for HADD and the up coming HM!

Also when you are training on a HADD basis it is about being below 75% of MaxHR not somewhere around it or an avergae  ..sure you will go over but you have to slow down to get it back in line asap.

08/03/2013 at 14:29

Yeah this is what I found difficult as I havent trained to HR before. My garmin has the HR monitor but I havent used it whilst running to monitor just had it in the background and checked the results after. I will figure this out though.

My back problem is an ongoing issue, but it only gives me problems when my trainers are on the way out so I bought a nice new paid of Asics gt2000 this aft. Im breaking them in tonight over a shorter distance.

Thanks

08/03/2013 at 15:01
A new pair of trainers is like Christmas Day! Let me know how you get on!
11/03/2013 at 10:14

They are really comfortable but not been able to break them in yet due to rain on thurs and extended birthday celebrations over the weekend. I will be going out tonight for a fairly long one and stick an update on here when Im done. Hoping legs wont be as tired as last time. Cheers

21 to 40 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.