Half marathon Sunday, Parkrun Saturday?

6 messages
17/10/2012 at 14:16

I'm just getting back into it after about 18 months out - no injury just Couchitis.

Any 6 weeks in, and I'm back to actual running rather than 'dragging myself along'.

I have my first half (since I've been training again) this Sunday and, while I'm not expecting anything near my best, I don't want to completely ruin it for myself.

Problem is, I did my first Parkrun on Saturday gone, and was really surprised at doigd sub 8m30s - which is only 30s off my best for that distance.

I'm struggling to taper this week as I have the bug a bit again...... After doing 7.5 on Sunday gone I've managed to stop myself going out, and was going to do a 3/4 tonight.

Would it be terrible to do the parkrun again the day before the race? 

17/10/2012 at 14:41

8minutes30 for a 5k Parkrun is impressive.

17/10/2012 at 14:44

Ha ha, Should have written 8m30s mile splits.

17/10/2012 at 15:03

I decided to sit out of parkrun before my last half marathon. Tempting as it is to do I don't think you'd regret it, it'll be there next Saturday. I did about 6 miles on Thursday before and left it at that. Then again I didn't get a PB!

17/10/2012 at 15:28

If you just want to do another Parkrun to get closer to your t-shirt just turn up Saturday morning and take it VERY easy, a light jog for 5kilometres wont harm your performance the next day. If you are going to be chasing a PB on Saturday morning it's almost certain you wont perform your best in a half marathon 24 hours later.

17/10/2012 at 16:44

After doing nothing for a week there's no chance I'd be taking it very easy on Saturday - especially with other runners to 'follow'.

Guess I'm better just staying away then.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.