Half marathon training - 4 to 5 mile dip

2 messages
28/08/2013 at 13:48

I've been running properly since April, 4-5 times a week.  Mainly 5km, the odd 10km and am on week 3 of training for the Worksop half.

Current training consists of approx 5km on Monday, long run on Tuesday (currently up to 9 miles in 80 minutes), rest day Wed Fri and Sun, hard session with club on Thurs which involves either hillwork, interval training, speedwork and a steady 5-7km on a Saturday.

On my long run on Monday this week my training partner who I regularly run with has noticed I start to get tired at approx 4-5 miles in.  I slow down for 0.5-1 mile and then have a second wind and am fine for the rest of the run home, often opening up for the last mile..

Any tips on how to stop this 4/5 mile dip please?  My training partner (ex PT) suggested breathing in through my nose, hold for a split half second and then breathe out through my mouth for 20-40 strides every now and again to get more oxygen in my muscles which worked nicely, and squeeze my core to change my striding to more mid-foot as I tend to heel strikel, particularly when tired.

Any advice greatly appreciated

28/08/2013 at 14:00
Maybe you are starting off too fast. Hold back at the start and then try to slowly get faster as the run progresses.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.