Half marathon training 1.40 time

6 messages
rm4
25/01/2014 at 12:46

Time constraints only allow me to train twice a week. I do a long run at the weekend of up to thirteen miles at eight min miles but am wondering what I should do for the other training session- a 7 min mile 10 k run or hill work? I try to progress my times/ distance every week

your advice would be most welcome.

cougie    pirate
26/01/2014 at 10:53
So you race your long run every week. Don't do that.

We need more info about you - but if you have only two runs a week - half marathons aren't for you.
26/01/2014 at 11:03
If you have other aerobic excercising in that week, you could focus one session on speed. But I think three sessions is a minimum to improve, barring weight loss.
26/01/2014 at 11:06
With 2 sessions the best you can do is maintain your fitness. You really need 3+ to start seeing improvements.
1.45 off your training is very respectable. The main way to improve is by doing more.
rm4
26/01/2014 at 13:31

Thanks for the feedback. Interested why I shouldn't do my long run every week. My idea was to get to 14 miles then go back down to  10 and then build it up again but faster.

26/01/2014 at 13:36

Read the comment carefully. Not 'do' a long run but 'race' your long run. Remember it is called a long slow run. And you should either increase speed or distance not both each week.  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.