Half marathon training advice

21 to 34 of 34 messages
26/04/2014 at 12:40
Peter M wrote (see)

except for you Kaffeeg :P, your aqua running suggestion sounds like a great idea,.. i don't think i could cope with the angry swimmers however :P.

26/04/2014 at 12:50

Peter M and Kaffeeg have got it right to a T. I have used DWR (deep water running) when injured and have actually improved my fitness and not just maintained it. I use an Aquajogger float (think that is what it is called) and go to the pool when they are doing lanes. Just go in the slow lane and be aware of what swimmers are doing around you. I did the GNR one year using this for much of my training and only lost 2 minutes on the previous year's time. My longest run that year was a short 8 miler around the playing field.

C

26/04/2014 at 20:29
Millsy1977 wrote (see)
Most runners make the mistake of trying to run all of your long runs at race pace, I know I have.

Guilty as charged your honour! I've slowed down a lot since I bothered to download and read an eBook on training. I still run a bit quickly sometimes, but nowhere near race pace. I was lucky and managed to avoid any serious injury; although I do get the occasional light niggle in my right Achilles.

Boz, if there's one thing I wished I'd known when I started out a year ago it's this - do most of your running at least one to two minutes per mile slower than your proposed race pace. If you've not already found MacMillan running, give it a try.

Best of luck.

Gaz

Edited: 26/04/2014 at 21:25
05/05/2014 at 18:44

1h 56m 35s - a pb by just under four mins. To those of you who offered their support, many thanks. Those who didn't....

05/05/2014 at 19:19

Good time. But imagine how better it could be if you followed a sensible training plan leading up to it

05/05/2014 at 20:07

Congrats. Glad you didn't get injured. 

05/05/2014 at 20:56

Cheers pal. Felt good.

05/05/2014 at 22:13
Congrats. I take it the injury didn't return ?
Well done .
05/05/2014 at 22:16
Good result. Find a decent training plan and your times should start to tumble.
06/05/2014 at 03:54

Weekly long runs between 8 to 12+ miles.

Once a week intervals or hill repeats.

Park Run or paced run up to 5 miles.

Add one or two easy recovery runs to focus on boosting weekly mileage and increasing your aerobic base. 3 to 6 miles for easy/recovery runs.

Anywhere between 3 to 5+ days of running should help you run a decent time for HM .

80% of your mileage for distance running should be working your aerobic system. Around 20% should be High intensity/anaerobic running to improve speed endurance. High intensity including paced runs/race and or intervals.

Edited: 06/05/2014 at 04:05
07/05/2014 at 11:35

Ironically, it was my left hamstring that felt sore more than the right - I haven't totted up the miles, but I would hazard a guess my trainers are probably offering me as much support as a pair of slippers so probably time to change.

I've knocked 22 mins off my first half marathon time (2h 18) in 18 months, so my next target is to see if I can beat the 1h 56 - ideal aim is to get sub 1h 50 but I think that'll take some doing as I'd need to be able to run approx 30sec a mile quicker for longer.

Simples

08/05/2014 at 08:15

Well done again on your time , bet those last few miles, knowing you were in a good place, felt really good .

the question is Boz, are you going to listen to the advice from everyone on this thread for your next HM, and slow down your long runs? 

08/05/2014 at 08:22

Slow down long runs by running extended intervals with walking breaks. Walking breaks  will slow down your pace, aid in recovery and extend distance and time of run.

09/05/2014 at 15:40

RW, I couldn't agree more about using walk breaks, especially if you use them strategically rather than when you get tired. I use the Jeff Galloway  approach and for the first time in years I have gone 6 months without a single niggle, even though I have done the Blackpool half and London in that period. Never been known before. You don't lose much time at all either.

He has a good website and there is a current Jeff Galloway thread on the forum.

C

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.