Half Marathon Training

2 messages
03/08/2012 at 23:39

Hi all

I'm looking for a bit of training advice.  I'm going to be doing my first half marathon next year and would like to start training now. 

My running has died down a bit in recent years for various reasons but back when I was training, I was able to produce some half decent times.  I was running purely for enjoyment and my own well-being as opposed to preparing for a particular race so I've never had a training programme in place that is targeted at a specific distance. 

I was able to run a 10k race in 39 minutes whilst I was training a couple of years ago so I'd say I'm not a complete novice so any advice you can give me on distances and pace that I should be aiming for will be much appreciated!  My goal is to run a sub 1hr 30 mins half marathon and I think that with the proper training, this should be achievable!

Many thanks in advance!

04/08/2012 at 16:16

If sub 90 mins is your goal I'd suggest doing 5 or 6 runs a week,1 long,1 tempo,1 speed and 2 easy.You need to do 6'52mm average for the race,so you need to build up to about 8 miles of tempo at about this pace and get your long run to say 15m@ 8mm.

I'm training for W'ton half in september.Long runs of 14-15 miles @8'15mm and tempo runs building to 8 miles @7'15mm are the key workouts for me,although i'm going for a time about 1hr 35 mins.I also do 6 half mile and 4-5 mile repetions with recovery on alternating weeks for speed and a couple of easy runs.

But I must emphasize that you build gradually to this as tempo running at this pace is hard going and might take many months to get there.Finish those 2 workouts 2 weeks before race day and you'll know you can do it.All the best Kid,let me know how you get on.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.