Hansons Marathon Method

181 to 191 of 191 messages
13/04/2014 at 19:46
Ps NB - will connect on garmin but last tranche of runs not up and I'll be away from computer for this week so will probably be next weekend.

Official time, btw, was 3:09:34
13/04/2014 at 22:02

Excellent effort BW - really please you overcame the ITB issues and worked through it.

My story was not so rosy. First 6 miles were ok, nicely on 2:44 pace. However some of the small inclines in the first 3 miles set the Tendinosis pain going, and by the end of mile 6 it was game over - I couldn't put any pressure on my forefoot. I jogged on to mile 9 to meet up with my wife. Had a stop there, and decided to just jog on and enjoy the day. I've put some details in another thread which I'll copy across. 

Glad to get this out of my system now, but it is a shame I didn't get to see how I would do under Hanson's.

13/04/2014 at 22:14

A great start to the morning jogging behind the Kenyans  and Etheopians on a warm up lead by Gebrselassie. They were incredibly relaxed, and Kebede is miniscule. Then moved on to Mo's warm up. Unfortunately a mankini man was running along side him so I quickly gave that a bumsteer.

Onto the races, first 4 miles nice and comfortable, mile 5 achilles tightens, and by mile 6 it is all over - I can't put any pressure on my forefoot. I decided to shuffle to mile 9 to meet up with my wife who was in the crowd, but during those next 3 miles I had such a good time with the crowd (personal best hand slap of 9 people in a row), that I have a chat with my wife that I'll meet up at mile 19. More jogging and taking the event in, although pain is starting to outweigh pleasure, a few stops to try and massage the achilles, and at mile 19 I'm going to doggedly see it through, so we arrange to meet at the end. 

Jog and limp on, try and run a couple of times, and I'm finished in a personal worst of 3:19:08, and have to say I had a top day. I knew it was going to be a messy day; it was just a surprise I took quite a bit out of it.

Stats:

Gels 0, Lucozade 0

Pieces of banana 2, orange pieces 1, Chewits 2, Milk bottles 3, mini Mars 1, Wispa bites 1, mini milky way 1, fruit pastilles 3, jelly babies 5, assorted pick n mix 8, mini bounty 1

So I made the most of it and experienced a bit of the 'fun run' feel of VLM.  Stopping to chat was a novel experience. Running will now have to take a back seat while I try and get patched up for the long term. Totally unconvinced by my physio encouraging me to run in the last few weeks, but really glad I turned up today and got this one out my system. Biggest disappointment was not finding out how I would do with Hanson's

14/04/2014 at 03:03

Looks like I'm set for a sleepless night due to an angry achilles. That will teach me!

14/04/2014 at 08:56

BW - good work, well done. Will you use Hanson again ?

A-r - shame that it didn't happen for you, do you think you'll have another go at Hanson ? Top marks for getting round it can't have been easy, especially carrying half a sweet shop

14/04/2014 at 09:28

Mace - I wish I'd taken a wheelie suitcase.

I will skip marathons now for a year. I'm not sure about Hanson's. I think it is a great plan but I've found 6 days per week a bit full on and disruptive, and have let a few things slip with work. I may try it again on one of the shorter plans. 20 weeks seemed to go on forever. I was also thinking of looking at Daniels as a possibility 

14/04/2014 at 13:37
Hi Mace - yes, probably. I'm a relative newbie to marathons and it's all I've known (1st marathon following no plan, next two with Hanson method). Reckon I can break 3 with a fair wind so will look to see if any others boast good speed improvements. 6 days a week with anew job and 4 hour commute each day was grim at times in the winter. Not sure fewer days would speed me up though and the fatigue style training certainly helped get me through despite the injury.

That's a definitely maybe then!
14/04/2014 at 14:54

Hi BW, No rush on the Garmin...well done on breaking 3:10, really pleased for you. Also, glad to hear you will be taking Hansons forward.

Hi AR, Well done on getting through the marathon, I suppose you probably knew this was going to happen as it didn't sound too good on the run up to the marathon. Bad news on the Physio, unfortunately it can be hard to get a good one. I found one and I am sticking with her, it helps that she is a runner and even now a vet runner she is pretty good and it helps that she has come up against most injuries ;0)

At least you had a good day and still come in at a respectable time in my book  

14/04/2014 at 15:05
More than respectable, I'd say AR, given everything. Wish I could run 3:19 without really trying! Hope you get back up to full speed soon.
14/04/2014 at 17:23

I think the not really trying was more about the pacing. I had just become a 'limper' just before the 10k mark (39:13)  The 6:15 pace set by Luke felt great. That left 32k at a pace far slower than the easy pace he set, so aerobically there was no challenge - just a leg to drag along!

Nell, I'm not wanting to blame my physio for it - I'm my worst enemy. My main grudge is that 5 weeks ago I asked him to be straight - I wanted to turn up 100% fit, or to call it a day there and then and fix the problem properly. I didn't want to muddle through. However I jumped at his idea of trying to run on and off, and letting the taper give time for some healing. I should have known as I've had the problem before.

MsE if you are out there, you are more than welcome to say "told you so"  Graston, ultrasound, whatever, bring it on. Meanwhile non weight bearing exercise from now on, just as the good weather arrives.

14/04/2014 at 18:50

Hi AR, yes hear where you are coming from. We are all our own worst enemies aren't we? I suppose I have a good understanding with my physio, she knows what I have been through and pretty much knows my body and will just tell me straight without any prompting, she's from Glasgow :0)

It all turned ok in the end anyway AR, as you sound like you enjoyed yourself. I suppose really that is what it is all about eh?

Talking physio's, I am just back from mine and a clean bill of health and nice feeling legs after a good massage...all to be destroyed in tomorrow mornings hill reps!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
181 to 191 of 191 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.