Hard Training - Dawn (Hilly)

2,041 to 2,060 of 2,133 messages
Blisters    pirate
01/12/2004 at 20:30
Ok I had a nice, if dead boring day at work. The best bit was finishing early enough to get the shopping done, and still have time for a 2 hour run! Brill.
01/12/2004 at 20:39
Another man who does the shopping, just what I like to see!:o)
Blisters    pirate
01/12/2004 at 21:52
And the cooking.
02/12/2004 at 07:51
Won't be doing the 10k in 2 weeks time now as I can't get a number. Nevermind, I've still got one left to do on Boxing Day. It's not as fast as the one I wanted to do, but it's still flat-all 4 laps of it round a lake. Only done this one once before and it really was brass monkey weather!

I was good and got myself up at 6am and have done my first run of the day. I can now go to work a happy lady!:o)
02/12/2004 at 08:05
Don't know how anyone can get up at 6am to do anything!
02/12/2004 at 08:42
Try getting up at 4 am for a few weeks then 6 am will seem like a lie in!
02/12/2004 at 09:23
Hilly 6am come it is even nicer getting up at 5am;-)a tad chilly though
02/12/2004 at 10:16
I got up at 4.45 am, tidied up, did the ironing and went for my run. Best part of the day.
02/12/2004 at 10:40
I admire you early risers, I really do. I just couldn't do it. Especially not at this time of year. I suppose if I ran am instead of pm it would free up more time in the evening, then I could go to bed earlier and would be able to get up without feeling knackered. Problem is that Mr. Minks is often late back from work, so we don't get to eat until 8:30-8:45 and I need a couple of hours for dinner to digest after that or I can't sleep. So I think I'll stick to evening runs for the moment.
02/12/2004 at 13:56
Up at 7.30 on a good day....definitely an evening person.
02/12/2004 at 18:22
Believe me 6am was a struggle! I tried to get up early on Wed morning, but turned over until normal time of 7am. It's surprising how much difference an extra hour makes:o)

I don't mind during summer months, but winter when it's so cold does put me off. I do feel good though if I manage to do a very early morning run at least once a week:o)

7:30 Mike, now that's lazy!:o)

SHADES and WP your times are still middle of the night!

Minks-it has to fit in and you have to be happy with when you run. I sometimes find early evening the most busy time in my household with a young adult family. I really like to get out about 4pm, which suits me best as I can then get back do our food before settling down for a lazy evening. But now I'm doing more miles I have to try and fit the running in where I feel it will cause least disruption to family life and also spreading the miles out over the week so has not to be doing too many long or hard runs.
02/12/2004 at 19:01
If I didn't have to take the girls to school it would be 8. One thing I'm good at is being lazy!
02/12/2004 at 19:44
Fraid i have to get up at 6am -

Have to be at work for 8am

Still i have to admire Shades, WP et al running in the middle of the night
02/12/2004 at 19:51
Mike, when you were training 100+ miles per week though you must have been running early mornings most days?

Pammie, I normally get up at 7am and have to be at work for 8:30 and then I finish at 3:30. I only work 2 miles from home so no travelling involved, thank goodness. Makes getting home and out by 4pm easy.
02/12/2004 at 20:05
hilly, Mike was younger then!!!!!!!!!!!
02/12/2004 at 20:33
I thought as you got older you needed less sleep!:o)

Mike, I'm looking at races I would like to do in FLM build-up and one that I quite fancy is a half marathon that falls on 3rd Oct. That's 2 weekends before FLM, so would be the start of my taper. Is this too late to leave doing a half marathon as a race?
02/12/2004 at 20:44
Hilly,

Hope you mean 3 April and I'm not 6 months in advance on my preps for London! Will be interesting to see what Mike thinks but I think you are pushing it and would possibly compromise your marathon. Need to set your main target and stick with it!!

What other races are you thinking of. On my side planning a 20km in first week Feb and a 25km one month before.

Simon
02/12/2004 at 21:15
Oops, that's what I meant!:o) I did think it was a bit late, but then I though maybe not as there's still 14 days before the marathon and as I'd be tapering I'd be reducing the stress and work load over those 14 days anyhow.

I've got a 10 miles in Jan and Feb, a 1/2M in Feb and a 20 mile beginning of March. There are others I could do, but I'm trying not to overdo the races in the build-up. I might fit in a 5k though as there's no 10k's for me to do.

02/12/2004 at 22:40
Look, 10.33 and I'm still up, that's why getting up early is out of the question. If I remember, I used to get up at 7.30, bowl of cornflakes, run 5 miles to school, shower and start teaching by 8.45 - I had a bit of a charmed life cos the headmaster was a runner and supported my running career, so I got away with murder. I taught at the Archbishops School in Canterbury, a non-selective church school but as I ran for the Archbishops charity when I won LM I was forgiven not preparing my lessons. Thank goodness we didn't have Ofsted then.

I think with FLM, you need to give up what you want to do and do what you should do, and that is a half no closer than 4 weeks before and maybe a 10k 2 weeks before.

I have just launched a 10km to be at Longleat on Feb 6th - now I would be surprised if that didn't figure in your planning!
02/12/2004 at 22:42
Simon, welcome back.
2,041 to 2,060 of 2,133 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.