Heart rate monitor training

261 to 280 of 329 messages
27/06/2006 at 19:26
Now I have a question for the HR team :)

I often play 5 a side football for an hour on a Wednesday. I'm at the stage where I'm going to add a 'hard' run into my schedule (ie 85%). Conscious as I am of the hard/easy principle, I want to make sure I'm not doing two hard sessions in a row.

Now, a certain Mr Parker says the following about cross training with other sports:

"A cross training day by definition uses little or no glycogen in the primary sport muscle cells and thus - like a day off - is simply counted as a recovery day."

Now this may be true for, say, weight training or swimming or cycling. But 5 a side is a high impact, high stress sport, that certainly doesn't feel easy! Any advice or suggestions?

Cheers
27/06/2006 at 19:28
Mr Bump - luckily I've just been scanning the book myself (can you tell?!)

I'd say add a AT run (85%) once and then twice a week. Parker says recovery runs get longer and hard runs get shorter. I guess when you're at the place you are, you can just adapt a training schedule for a half mara or whatever to fit in with the HRM principles.

I am no expert but seems logical to me?
27/06/2006 at 21:08
@Hendo - thanks for all you effort, that's a big help.

Each time I've hit a max it's been at the end of a run, so hopefully the monitor will have settled down by then and my heart will have been working consistently hard for a while.

Somebody else has recommended that book, so perhaps I'll take a look.

I agree that I need to monitor my heart rates more closely over a longer period, I was just interested if anybody had come across a rate so high before. It does feel wrong, but I'm sure I'll be able to judge things better as I progress. For now it's all about putting in the miles for my first half marathon in October!
28/06/2006 at 21:55
<<tumbleweed blows across Hendo's question>>

28/06/2006 at 22:59
Hendo - Thanks for the tip. I got a few PBs earlier this year having done one threshold (85%) run per week with all other running at 70-75%. Now I feel fully recovered from FLM having done these 7 weeks of base training, I think this is the way to go.

As for your question, I would not treat your football as a recovery run. I would want to do a recovery run or rest day after the day you play football.
28/06/2006 at 23:47
Heyup,

Had a week off last week as I had a stag-do in Latvia, and bar getting shot at with real guns by bouncers running out of a cheap strip joint that we got conned into going in, all is well..no holes in me (or any of the party) at least.

Managed a 2 hour run on the 18th at about 11min/miles covering just under 11 miles. I was very chuffed. All of it was at about 75%, but toward the end it was climbing, but by then I just wanted to get home.

Bit put off by a niggle on the outside of my left knee though, its been there since I started back up again about 5 weeks ago. Been reading all sorts about ITBS, so I thought change my 2-3 yr old adrenaline GTSs and book an appointment with the physio. I'll see how the new shoes react with my knee, and hopefully the physio won't say I'll need it amputating :-).

Its not stopping me running to be honest, just a niggle, and after about 20 mins its there for a while, sometimes goes away for bit, but then back, specially on downhills.

If that sorts itself out, I'm hoping to have a mission of running an hour a day for the month of July without missing a day. Maybe long-ones at the weekend, maybe not. If I can do that, then I reckon I should be well on the way to getting the min/mile down to 10 @ 75% HR. Fingers crossed.

Hope yer all well!

LM
28/06/2006 at 23:48
Oh...and I'm about 12lbs lighter :-D
29/06/2006 at 22:34
Bleeding battery dead on the chest strap already :-(...not really happy!

Anyway, went out without it, and ended up running a 7 mile 10min/miler. Pretty good, but wish the frikkin thing hadn't run out of juice.

How long does your HRM last?
30/06/2006 at 00:09
The last battery on my HRM, used 4 times a week, lasted about 6 months.
30/06/2006 at 15:47
Advice needed please? When running speed sessions like today I have real probs with HR. Today was 10X 400m @ 85%. 1st 200m or so of each rep was working up to that % second 200m and I was way over at 95%. Does any body else do this kind of training and how much do they try to keep to their correct %HR. I know 1 thing it bl**dy knackered me
22/07/2006 at 18:44
Hi guys

Just thought I'll let you know how the HRM trainings going.

Since started at run/walk 3.2mph at 70%, I can now manage 3.5mph running at 70%, the change is in 3/4 months period, so slowly but surely I'm getting there.
14/08/2006 at 14:18
hi all
just got the idiots guide book and will start my training today.A 5mile recovery ceiling run max h/r not above 147 i hope.
My last 2 races one a 13m other a 10 m were shocking, worst times ever for me so this change is something i'm looking forward to.
Will stick to it i swear!
14/08/2006 at 14:36
Taking part in test of Polar RS800 over next 8 weeks. I've got the works to play with and there's a control group using a stopwatch.

Began with full VO2Max and Coopers test, train "normally" for 8 weeks and then repeat the tests. Good news is all who take part get a new RS800 with all the s/w.

Used to occassionally check HR with on old protrainer, a few times a year. Just ocmpleted the first week and it's amazing how the new toy focusses the training.

eg. VO2Max = 55 (age 44), Coopers = 3050m (don't do enough speed work!) HR range for the test 70-183. First longer run 11.2km in 52min included a big hill about 5km in HR peaked at 192 (105%), but recovery was good. I can really see the benefit of all the measurements and analysis, and how it's going to improve the quality of my running.

With the HRM did you feel the same and did it last or has the novelty worn off?
14/08/2006 at 15:01
What rs800 test are you taking part in big pony?
14/08/2006 at 16:12
It's sponsored by Polar through the Olympic Medical Institute.

They had me in for a VO2Max at the institute and a few days later did a Coopers test (how far can you run in 12 minutes) at Harrow School running rtack. Then I train normally for 8 weeks and then repeat the tests, give back the watch and bits and pieces, and get a nice brand new one for my trouble.

I was always planning to use the 8 weeks to get really ready for Loch Ness, but might not be able to run as it clashes with something else (not running related unfortunately). Anyway gonna train for it in case I can make it.

The aim of this is to test the s/w alongside a control group to see if the watch, HRM and s/w make a significant improvement on training and performance.
14/08/2006 at 16:23
Hi All,
I’ve been basing most of my runs on 70% WHR since March. I’ve seen big improvements in pace over this time but I'm starting to feel that 70% WHR is getting harder.
Is this correct? I've read the idiots guide and my understanding was that the pace would pick up (which it has) and the effort will feel the same. However I’m starting to feel that I have to breathe deeper, I can still hold a conversation but previously (esp. when I first started) my breathing was light.

I've only had this feeling for the last couple of weeks and it could of course be down to other factors (I'm training for a marathon) but I'd just like to get some views on this.

Cheers
14/08/2006 at 16:27
Sounds good and always nice to get a freebee!!

You'll have to let us know how you get on sounds very intresting.
14/08/2006 at 17:09
I guess y'all using Garmin's? If so how are they helping with training?

I have to mail my training log weekly to the OMI for analysis but won't expect feed back from them for a couple of months, but my first weeks impressions have been positive and motivational, hope it lasts :)

14/08/2006 at 18:20
14/08/2006 at 18:42
Karen - I didn't know the RS800sd had been released yet?
It's a fab piece of kit. I have been running with one and comparing it to a Garmin 305.
Out of the box the Polar was accurate on the road to within 3 metres per 1000 metres. I did a 20 k training run last week in tough terrain and the Garmin showed 20.11 km, the Polar 20.2 km. The pace returned by the Polar is incredibly sensitive. The watch display can show your HR in three flavours (HR, %HR max, and Karvonen) and you can change the display on the run.

I've been doing most of my mileage at up to 70% Karvonen; last week I did 64 miles. I am running many miles at marathon pace now with my HR barely going over 70%.

261 to 280 of 329 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.