Heart Rate Query

6 messages
05/03/2013 at 15:01
Hi I am training for London marathon (& possibly Milton Keynes). my heart rate is around 151-156bpm when training on a long run - this equates to around 70/75% for me. This weekend just gone I did a half marathon & my rate was about 156-168bpm (75-90%) as I ran quicker than in training. I am a slow runner at a pace of 11-12min mile. My question is to check running at 75-90% is normal or ok? Not a lot I can do about it but my breathing is ok, though I always get tired in training & races towards the last 3mi. I feel like I have no energy despite gels & a sports drink plus eating plenty of complex carbs a few days before. I don't want to slow down even more - my goal is sub 5:00 (or as close as poss). I have done a marathon before in 6 hours but had to walk a lot due to injury. Any polite suggestions welcomed. Many thanks.
cougie    pirate
05/03/2013 at 15:23
If you're working on 220-age for your calculations - go and hit the watch with a big hammer. That's out for a lot of people. You need to do a proper test.

75-90% is a hell of a range. 75% I'd be working steadily. 90% I could probably do for an hour tops before my eyeballs burst.

Aim to do most of your runs at a pace you can chat at. For your long runs - aim to run them 90 secs per mile slower than your goal pace at the marathon.

On the day - adrenaline and cardiac drift affect the figures so much that a HRM might not be that much use.
05/03/2013 at 16:44
I'm working on 226-age. I am at 90% sometimes but most of the time 80% in the half marathon. In training runs more like 70%. To be honest I can't really chat & run - I can't concentrate on breathing otherwise!! I take your point though. Hoping adrenaline will get me round VLM!!! Cheers.
05/03/2013 at 16:50

90% peaks in a half-marathon race is fine, but 90% in training will leave you too tired to train effectively in your other sessions. For the marathon you won't be able to sustain 90% for very long, you should be looking to stay below 85%.

PS There's something wrong in your figures as 156bpm (75%) gives a max HR of 210 bpm, but 168bpm (90%) gives a max HR of 187?

05/03/2013 at 21:10
Perhaps I am working it out wrong then - what formula are you using? Will have to keep an eye on the 85% during the marathon then. I'm trying to avoid having to walk in the second half but I can't run much slower!! Although I think I need to slow the first half down!!
06/03/2013 at 05:07
Have a look on the web for max hr test to see ideas for the stress test to get your heart to its max level, and then use this as a basis for your calculations. The generic 220 - age formula is a guide, and originally was caveated with a +10/-10 % rule ( may even have been more than 10%). Then you take your hr reading divide it by your max hr and then times this by 100 to get your hr %.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.