Heavy Legs during long run

5 messages
23/07/2012 at 05:10

Hello all,

I'm training for my 3rd marathon which is 4 weeks away. Last week I did 20.5 miles in a decent time (2:56). The week before I did 18 Miles (2:35)

This week, I was aiming for 22 miles. I didn't really do any training during the week (had bruised toes). During the run, after about 9 miles I felt that my legs were very heavy. Rest of my body felt great though. I eventually had to stop at 16 miles as my legs were so heavy and my pace had slowed significantly. 

Do I need to rest more between runs, or is this because I didn't do enough (or any) short runs during the week to keep the fitness ticking over and get rid of the lactic acid?

Any ideas or comments appreciated!

Thanks

29/07/2012 at 20:16
Have you got appropriate footwear? Bruised toes is an indication that you may not. Are you stretching before and after?
29/07/2012 at 21:23

I sometimes get heavy legs too.  My experience of it is over training.  Take a week off, do some short slow runs, maybe 5-6 miles, and when they recover get back to normal....they will get better (in my experience again!)....but I appreciate it is extremely frustrating.

Personally I would do the long runs every fortnight, and do a 10 mile run in between.

And I agree with Bluemoon....bruised toes might be because your toes don't have enough space....have a look at your shoes.

Good luck!
Paul 

29/07/2012 at 21:54

I would say do some medium long runs mid week to support the long run at the weekend - your endurance will develop. Note Lactic acid is cleared quite quickly, whilst  DOMS occurs 1 to 2 days after session as a result of muscles tear&repair (not lactic).  Short recovery runs (short & slow) will help stretch out muscles and get blood flowing. Since upping the midweek runs, my long runs of 20 - 24  feel so much stronger.

Pfitzinger & Douglas 'Advanced Marathoning reckon on 4 days to recover from a long run (glygogen replenishment and muscle recovery). Worth a read, and has some good training schedules.

I would sort you shoes out first though.

30/07/2012 at 06:03

Thanks a lot for all the responses. Really helpful.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.