Help!! I have been ill

10 messages
06/10/2013 at 20:05

Hi fellow rrunners

i need some advice, I have been training for a 10k run next weekend (10th October) but two weeks ago have been ill with flu and sinusitis which has meant no training. 

I now face my first ever 10k and feel out of shape. I managed 6k yesterday but it was slow and hard going, does anyone have any advice for me to maximise my chances of completion on the day? The furthest I have ever run is 9k

fingers crossed......

paul

cougie    pirate
06/10/2013 at 20:28
You can take 2 weeks off without any significant de training effect.

Make sure you are full recovered and take it very easy this week. All you can do is make sure you're ready to go. If you push too much this week you'll overcook it.

If you have trained to 9k then race day will bring you the extra 1k.
06/10/2013 at 20:29

Perfect you are having a great taper

just relax, have a short jog tuesday and maybe Thursday but relax and just think positive thoughts

06/10/2013 at 21:35

Make sure you are 100% recovered. Last race I ran, I wasn't, but fortunately the portaloos were perfectly spaced out 3 miles apart.  Just lower your expectations a little if you were hoping for a specific time.

06/10/2013 at 21:42

Paul I ran my first half marathon today, and due to illness and niggles was reduced to easy running only for the last 4 weeks, this had quite a significant effect on my performance I felt.

Maybe you will get away with 3 weeks , but I would suggest lowering your targets slightly and make sure you get round comfotably. I wouldnt wish my last 3 miles on anyone!

07/10/2013 at 12:11

Hi Paul

I did a marathon yesterday and had similar illness issues leading up to it....dont focus on a time, just focus on getting yourself round comfortably! hopefully the weather will be ideal, the other runners will prob all be as nervous as you and it'll turn out to be great!

08/10/2013 at 14:10

Thanks all, going to do a short one this evening and then another on Friday just to get the confidence back. 

I got my number through today, my first ever one so that has motivated me in itself!!

08/10/2013 at 19:35

Exciting

06/12/2013 at 13:24

Rather a delayed post but I managed my run on a very rainy sunday morning in Tamworth, not only that but I finished in under 1 hour which I was really pleased with.  Now just trying to plan out my 2014 milestone, should I do a half.......

06/12/2013 at 14:41

Yes, then a marathon, then a 50m ultra and maybe finish with a 100M ultra... Then again maybe not

Do what you want.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.