Help on training from 1/2 to marathon

3 messages
04/10/2012 at 11:13
hi - I have two 1/2 marathons already booked for November. Training going well & not that fast - 2 hours 30 min is my usual but I've got a place in VLM (one of the last lucky ballot places) My question is can I keep training for the 1/2 & keep that level of fitness until January & then step it up for the marathon ? I know I need to be quicker as the training will take for ever ! I was thinking for concentrating on increasing my pace from November until January Good idea ? Bad idea ? I don't want to peak that early
04/10/2012 at 13:51

I am in a similar position, being half marathon 'ready' now, so my plan is to carry on with long runs at the weekends and start the marathon training plan in November, but repeating the early weeks and repeating a few of the later ones too. 

My thinking is that I want to get to the point where I can 'easily' do 12/13 miles every weekend and then the ramp up to 18/20 should be 'eaiser'.

Also the 13 week plans don't leave much room for hiccups if you lose a few weeks through illness or injury so my plan is to have done some 18/20 miles by the end of Feb and then and then alternate maybe 15/20 every other weekend.  I don't think that means I peak too early - hope not - but just can't see how going from 12-14-16-18-20 over 5 weeks would work for me.  I did 14 last week but don't feel ready to tackle 16 this week - especially with runs in the week too.

This may be a rubbish plan but being 'half marathon ready' now it seems daft to lose that fitness and to start up again at 7 or 8 miles for a long run.

I am also not a speedy runner -built for endurance not speed - but find I can manage the long miles as long as it is nice and relaxed.

I have forgotten what predicted time I told them when I entered!

05/10/2012 at 11:11

I'm also thinking about moving to marathon from half marathon distance. But my take is that you should concentrate on increasing distance and not worry about pace too much.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.