Help!?

6 messages
10/05/2012 at 23:06
Hoping someone can help me? I am 31 years old and weigh 13 stone, which is half a stone heavy due to be told as I have Runners knee (and wear insoles when not running)to stop all exercise 8 months ago but have now been told to do as much as I want?! I currently train in the gym Mon, Weds and Fri and cover whole body. I then run Tues, Thurs and Sat with a rest on Sun. I normally do 10k on Tues and Thurs and 10 miles on Sat. I have been doing this since Feb this year. I did my first run in March-6 miles in 53 mins and have booked races in for June-10k, August-10 miles and November-half marathon with an aim of a full marathon mid to end of next year. I currently just run as I do not know where to start with speed runs or how?! I also want to speed up my runs but again do not know how? Where am I going wrong? How can I lose the extra weight? Am I running enough? Any advice welcome? Thanks in advance.
12/05/2012 at 18:14
Hi Cake! Thanks for quick reply and sorry for delay in my response. I am 5 ft 10 and medium build and according to Dr was overweight and so Docs said to lose weight as it would help with my knee pain! Due to break in exercise this caused the weight increase!

As for the gym, I only do toning weights and 4 sets of 15 rep different press ups each night plus 4 sets of 1 min planks each night.

My running is all outside and thanks for advice re: training plans on this website. When you say increase the distance each week, How much do I increase by?

Regards

Phil.
12/05/2012 at 18:29

Apply the 10% rule.

Have a read of this: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--1051-0,00.html

13/05/2012 at 15:03
Thanks Darola!
14/05/2012 at 15:10

Hi Phil,

Some questions:

What are you hoping to achieve with your running/exercise?

For your races, are you aiming to finish, or going for a particular time? 

What makes you think you're going wrong?!

What's your waist measurement? (often a better indication than just weight or BMI)

If you're exercising to lose weight or for general fitness, then a good mix of activities is beneficial. If you want to improve as a runner, then you probably need to add another running session to your week. That's not to say that you need to cut back elsewhere (general fitness will confer benefit to running fitness), but if running if your focus then you need to run A good training plan will give you ideas on duration/intensity/types of sessions so it's a case of finding something you can work with and sticking to it as best you can. 

As far as weight is concerned, the best bit of advice (in the first instance) is to keep a food diary. They are incredibly useful in learning about your own eating behaviours. Most people aren't aware of exactly what they eat in a day, and it's often little bits here and there that add up and sabotage weight-loss. Write down everything - food and drink - and preferably immediately after you've had it. Less chance that way of forgetting! 

15/05/2012 at 00:19
Cake/Sarah Thanks to you both for the help!

Sarah my waist is 34" and I do exercise to keep fit and hopefully loseweight/ tone up. However, I love running and I do approx 4 races a year when I'm fit!! I want to finish all my races in the quickest time I can but Dont lnow thd best way to do this plus I know that my diet isn't the best! I'm good with 3 meals and fruit but eat too many sweets!! Should I be running 5 times a week then? In which case I will drop a day at the gym. The reason I think I am going wrong is that I dont seem to have got any fitter/ quicker since I started in Feb after 18 months of injury and no exercise!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.