Hill & Sprint Reps

6 messages
27/06/2011 at 08:08

Did my first ever hill and sprint session at the club Friday (After over a year at the club - Poor coaching I think... )

How does this help me for the long distances? ... Really enjoyed it but I just like to know how it translates into race fitness.

27/06/2011 at 10:17
Hills and sprint sessions are speedwork, so you can go faster over the distance.
27/06/2011 at 12:11
I don't think they do help you much - long hills maybe but not anaerobic sprints - not if you are aiming at 10k - marathon racing which is what most on here do.     There may be some value in a very limited amount of short fast running but not a full session that fatigues you and will mean you can't do endurance work that day and possibly even the day after.  
27/06/2011 at 12:31

when you say a sprint session, what are you talking? Literally flat out over 50 to 100metre? Or do you mean track work over 200 to 400metres?

My current club do "speedwork" but it's not very helpful as it's flat out, no set distance and no set recoveries...it's strictly "fun" rather than getting you faster I believe.

Proper speedwork is set reps, set timed efforts, and set timed recoveries. Less fun, but more beneficial!

27/06/2011 at 13:04

SG, 100-80m, timed recoveries and set reps, and some jog/sprint and some sprint/jog hill reps, and paired jog/sprint hill sets

Pop - No marathons here, upto a half on a good day

Cheers AN

>
27/06/2011 at 14:27
it benefits strength and may help prevent injuries so there is a place for them. you can always suggest your coach changes the training as variety is the key.
>

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.