Hill session on bike

8 messages
19/10/2002 at 09:32
I've been using the bikes in the gym for cross-training recently and was wondering if the hills programme in any way replicates a hill-session for running. Would it have the same effect as running hills? I heard that cycling is the best cross-training for runners and would be interested in hearing how other people use bikes.

19/10/2002 at 10:17
I use my bike for cycling to work three days a week, plus I like to get out and do a long one on a Sunday. As for cycling improving my running I can't really say. But one thing for sure the best way to improve your hill running, is to simply practice running up hills. Cross-training in my opinion is just another stimulus for shocking the muscles into action, but there's no substitute for sports specific training.
19/10/2002 at 10:38
I agree running rewards running.
19/10/2002 at 22:28
Totaly agree with the above, but I do use the bike in the gym on the hills programe.

I only use it when i'm injured or want to rest my running muscles. This is my session. it's a real toughie.

Hills level 10
60 mins (it'll give you a 10 min warm up)
When on the "hill" I aim to keep the revolutions to 130 plus & revs at 100 in recovery.

I don't think it makes me better at running up hill but it's a good CV work out. You can also do the samre on the stepper.

Psi
20/10/2002 at 02:26
Hill cycling does actually have a benefit to your running uphill, in that it gives your quads a good old workout - a muscle group that's particularly tested on difficult hills. Of course, the law of specificity dictates that one week of uphill running will be more effective for a runner than one week of uphill cycling, but there's still a definite benefit in my experience.
20/10/2002 at 10:53
I admit I really enjoy spinning classes, sweat buckets and have legs like jelly after but it has to be as well as running not instead of.
28/10/2002 at 15:49
I have been doing bike work for 6 months after reading an article by Denis Quinlan on Bingley Harriers web site (www.bingleyharriers.co.uk). It compliments my running well and enables me to train twice a day without overdoing it on my joints. And, being a Dad, I can train whilst looking after 2 kiddies in the comfort of my own home.
28/10/2002 at 23:31
The article re bike work is not available on the Bingley site as far as I can see; have you a copy of it you could post?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.