Hill walking as training mileage??

1 message
06/01/2003 at 13:11
Despite having been a regular runner for many years (now averaging 30mpw but once in late 1980s up to 70mpw before injuries took their toll) I have always wondered how (if?) I should count hill walking amongst my training mileage - I walk regularly with my partner (as she is a non-runner but loves the great outdoors)in the Yorkshire Dales/South Pennines etc but have never previously included the mileage in my training diaries - does anyone do so or alternatively know of an 'equivalent'formula as obviously 12 miles in the Dales walking (over 6 hours) would not equate to the effort of a 12 mile run over say an hour and a half. (I was once told that for cycling the equivalent would be 4 miles for every 1 mile run.)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.