Hills...or lack of...

8 messages
09/01/2006 at 07:17
Hi,
I usually live in the Chilterns where there are lots of nice hills for me to run up and hill train on, however during the term time I live in cambridge, which has 1 tiny little inline, that can't really be called a hill at all. I am training for a 10k, and although I can run this distance already, I'd like to keep up my stamina by incorporating hill training, speed training etc into my regime. Would running on an incline on a treadmill be an ok substitute for the lack of hills? What do people think. I have had knee problems in the past, so need to be careful.
Thanks
09/01/2006 at 09:04
I live in Southsea... no hills for miles!

I call running into the strong sea breeze on the seafront my hillwork!
09/01/2006 at 10:04
Hendo,
You have Portsdown Hill! How far away does a hill have to be?

The usual answer to a lack of hills is to find a bridge and run up and down it - our club hill session does just that. Closed multistorey carparks can be a good bet if it's safe.
09/01/2006 at 10:35
Portsdown hill is up north though susie!

I have the seafront on my doorstep, why inhale the fumes from suburbia?!

09/01/2006 at 10:40
You southeners! ;-)
09/01/2006 at 22:59
I have no bridges either!!! I may have to have a scout around for something suitable, I have a while as hill training doesn't start in my training plan for a week or two!
10/01/2006 at 08:07
How about the entry ramps for city centre car parks?

I've never tried a hill session on a treadmill, so not sure how that compares to the real thing. One problem is that treadmills generally don't go downhill. Downhill running is a skill in itself which should be pracised if you want to maximise performance. Downhill can be very heavy on the quads on long runs.
10/01/2006 at 13:20
Good idea, I will try that, and if not I will try it on a treadmill and just have to practise downhill when I get home!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.