HM Training advice

1 message
NV
06/04/2010 at 14:02

I’m after a bit of advice about half marathon training please. 

I’m 41, I’ve been running around 15 months, although I didn’t come from a background of no exercise, having previously played rugby, spent time in the gym etc.  

I ran a 5k in June last year in 25:04, and a half in September in 2:07:57 (underprepared, inconsistent training, very hot and I didn’t really “race” it). 

After the HM I promptly tore a calf muscle and didn’t run again until Christmas Eve. Since then, I have been much more consistent and running 3 times a week. I normally run a long run of around 10 miles at the weekend at around 9:20/mile, 1 x midweek 5 mile at around the same pace, and a midweek tempo or repeat session, eg last week was 9ish miles including 3 + 2 miles with 5 minute recovery at 8:20/mile, tonight will be around 6-7 miles including 5 x 1km at 8:00/mile. 

My theories behind the paces are:

9:20 is comfortable for 10 miles.

8:20 is goal 10k pace

8:00 is goal HM pace in 6 months time.  

I also swim and bike at least once a week for an hour or so each. 

I know that for a decent half the mileage will have to increase and I will add another 1 or 2 aerobic runs into the schedule now the clocks have changed, and although training towards a time target is not the best idea, I would dearly love to go sub1:45 in September (HM). I also have a 10k in a fortnight which I’m hoping to get around in 52-53 minutes or thereabouts. 

I am a classic example of a little bit of knowledge being a dangerous thing, and was hoping that someone could suggest something a bit more structured.

Thanks in advance.
Edited: 06/04/2010 at 14:03

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.