How do you know when you've reached your full potential?

21 to 40 of 60 messages
05/07/2013 at 23:23

Well that all goes to show your potential was far from fulfilled after two years of running - a shining example for RR to crack on and start running with some bigger fish

05/07/2013 at 23:29
So gospel according to Ricf is 6-7 mins off my first 10k and 15 mins off my first HM. I would be happy with that.
06/07/2013 at 08:07

If you know what you doing, then its possible.

Bearing in mind that most runners idea of training is 'run', 'run harder', run further', but pay lip service to all other aspects of the process such as 'recovery', 'hydration', 'nutrician', multi tier loading, macro & micro training cycles, climate and body fat%, and a few other things besides.

Can you be bothered enough to put so much thought into the activity?

Too much for most.

06/07/2013 at 11:46

Thanks for all responses, have just checked back on this thread.

Bit more info, I've been a regular runner for about 5 years, more of a plodder I'd say, logging miles 40-50 weekly. I started racing earlier on this year, now my weekly mileage is about 60 miles. Last year a hilly half marathon on road I ran it in 1.47 and this year, same course came in at 1.35.

I like to point out that I don't think I'm super fast All Hail Me  as I know these are just local events I'm winning at, and if I were to be placed in an international event, then yeah, sure I'd be put in my place, however, one day I would love to compete at that level and was wondering if I ever could reach that potential. 

06/07/2013 at 12:12

Just make sure you aren't doing any junnk miles. That you stick to a good training plan including speedwork and tempo runs. Decide what you want to achieve. What you think your best distance is and go for it

I've heard that strengthening your core can help too especially xcountry running.

06/07/2013 at 18:16

Kelv, are you stealing those lines from somewhere?

Rebecca, it looks like you're not maximising 60miles a week. What is the breakdown of paces/sessions/miles in your average week?

06/07/2013 at 18:31

How would you break 60 miles upvstevie g

06/07/2013 at 18:47

I'd go for something like this... depends if you are used to doubles, and obviously depends on the target distance, and what phase you're in...base through to peaking etc.

The below also depends on you calculating your proper pace zones from your current fitness.

• M     2x  short runs easy pace
  • T      Tempo, perhaps 6-7miles at Marathon pace (3m wu, 1m cd),  short 2nd run easy pace
  • W     Medium long easy pace run 8-10miles, possible 2nd run easy pace
  • T      DAY OFF
  • F    Track reps at appropriate paces, reps and recoveries (7-10miles whole session), 2nd run, short and easy pace
  • Sa   2x short runs easy pace
  • Su   long run 12-16miles
06/07/2013 at 19:46

Hi Stevie G. To be honest, I do a lot of junk miles,I put no thought into what my next run will be, I just run and then spill my guts out when it comes to race, no plan of pacing, just run the hardest I can, oh the ignorance 

I always I have a long run of about 16-19 miles once a week.

06/07/2013 at 19:47
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Kelv, are you stealing those lines from somewhere?

Rebecca, it looks like you're not maximising 60miles a week. What is the breakdown of paces/sessions/miles in your average week?

Yep, I unfortunately agree!

06/07/2013 at 19:53

well that's why you're doing 1hr 35 off a quite high mileage.

Tweak it a bit and you'll be closer to 1hr 30 i'm certain....

I'd suggest..(and it's up to you as it's your running life), that you do the below...

• Use a recent fast road course as your current fitness.
  • work out your pace per mile for that distance
  • Use the MacMillan race calculator to give you a guide on other pace zones
  • Do the vast majority (all bar 2 runs a week) in easy zone
  • Work the tempo zone (between MP and HMP zones)
  • Work out track sessions based on targeted zones too.

Just my 2pence worth

06/07/2013 at 19:57

Thanks for that  so, how many fartleck should I do a week? One, two? 

06/07/2013 at 19:58

also 16-19 sounds a bit too much for a long run, unless you're on the road to doing a marathon.

16miles or 2hours running is probably enough for upto a half marathon, before it starts to dip more into injury risk/fatigue territory than beneficial. (in my opinion)

06/07/2013 at 20:00

I wouldn't especially think fartlek to be honest, i'd think more a session like 6-7miles at Marathon pace (roughly a minute quicker than top end easy pace, or 20secs slower than Half marathon pace)

You can mix that up with combining half marathon pace after a few successful completions of the MP run.

Fartlek has it's place but I personally think that you do enough "run as fast as you like when you like" stuff as it is...without making one of your sessions into that too!

Edited: 06/07/2013 at 20:03
06/07/2013 at 20:03

Marathon pace is quite slow though, which a lot of my miles I run when not racing are pretty slow, should I not be training a bit faster?

06/07/2013 at 20:08

if you have your zones correct, you'll find that marathon pace in training ISN'T actually that slow. We're talking a "theoretical" training zone, rather than what you'd actually currently run a marathon in.

Let's break it down. Your half marathon of 1hr 35 is 7.15 pace.

That would make your marathon pace around 7.35 pace.

That'd mean your easy pace is something like 8.25-9.00ish

You should find a 6-7mile run at 7.35 a medium hard workout.

06/07/2013 at 20:09

(the track session is where you'd lay down the snappier work)

06/07/2013 at 20:11

That's put it in perspective now 

06/07/2013 at 20:12

and just in case you're interested...I've tried it both ways...doing whatever I fancied when I liked, which saw my times drop as the milege increased, but then got to a point the science and pace zones needed to arrive to take me on.

06/07/2013 at 20:15

Rebecca, I'm hopeless at planning out my weeks, hopeless at following 'off the shelf' plans. I had a small period of time last year that I call my 'grey months' - I was neither running easy, nor quick. Most miles blurred into one pace.

I still don't detail plan, but know that every week  I will fit in one Long Run, one Medium Long Run (easy), one Tempo run, one hill reps or intervals. Everything else is easy running. Pretty much SG's 2pence worth written in my long winded way (lets call it 1pence worth). I know what needs to be done training wise, and build in the sessions around other committments and how I'm feeling, No more grey miles for me.

21 to 40 of 60 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.