How fast can I get with two years of training?

21 to 28 of 28 messages
25/07/2013 at 21:44

Thanks literatin! i might as well shoot for thE stars! 

26/07/2013 at 08:31

If you are from the IOW, the Gosport Half-Marathon is nearby which is held in November . Its a good race as it is a flat course the whole way through. Would recommend it as a build-up event!

26/07/2013 at 09:16

ooh that sounds good as I am doing GSR in October, will be a nice step up! Thanks for the tip!

26/07/2013 at 12:43

I was just going to suggest Gosport, it's flat and known to be fast. You've already mentioned that the 10km was hilly, running a flat event in 4 months time at the distance you are interested in will give you a better idea of just what is achievable in another year's time.

26/07/2013 at 13:04

If you're on the IOW I was going to suggest next year Ryde 10 (Feb) and IOW Half Marathon (Aug) - both are hilly and will make the GSR and Gosport seem easy

26/07/2013 at 13:46

I think you'll find that my increasing your distances a fair bit and building up to 30-40 miles per week and losing some of that weight your times will drop quite nicely.  I'm also targeting 1.40 for my next half and came back from having a baby about 15 months ago (having done no running during the pregnancy and for about 8 months afterwards, and getting FAT).  So with two years to play with it could be nicely achievable but work on getting your 5k and 10k times down which will give you an idea of whether you are making good progress towards your goal.  Going up to about 25 miles a week I was knocking a minute off Parkrun times every month (for a while!).  Am up to 40mpw now and improvements have slowed but I still knocked a min off my 10k time in about a month recently (down to 45.12 on a seriously hot day).  

You need to be looking towards around a sub-45 10k and a sub-22 5k to make it achievable but don't worry if that sounds intimidating now.  Just keep plugging away and those times will drop.  It sounds like a really fun event to be a part of and gives you a great longer term goal!  

cougie    pirate
26/07/2013 at 14:42
Its a good time to aim for but I doubt you'd hit it unless you lose the weight.

That extra weight is probably costing almost 5 minutes just there.

Sub 1.40 would put you top 10 women in the last half I did.

It's definitely achievable - but you're really gonna have to train hard and really want it.
26/07/2013 at 20:38

Oh don't worry I do want it, badly! The weight will take time to come off but it will do, in the end as I increase the miles - they go hand in hand I think.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.