how flexible can a good plan be?

3 messages
21/01/2013 at 17:03

loads of training plans out there, but my lfestyle doesn't fit a nice pattern, i can't even guarantee the same day a week to do a long run due to my shifts

i work dyas and nights,  7-3, 9-5, 1-9.30, 9pm - 7am , or my worst shift is long day 7 am to 9.30 pm, anyway , you get the idea , long days means no running at all, 

i am currently doing long runs on thurs eves, as weekends are usually at work , and i try to do parkrun on sat morning, 

how do you all manage your training  when you have to juggle work rotas, and a new job isn't an option xx 

22/01/2013 at 10:10

If i need to i just move stuff around
I think that the main thing is that a week should include a tempo run, some interval work , and a long slow run or easy run as a minimum. (i am sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong!) the difficult stuff (tempo and intervals) shouldnt be next to each other.(dont know how many days your training has?)

apart from that, i think its ok to move the days around

22/01/2013 at 19:40
It's 5 days but 2 are non running activities like cycling/swimming or long walks , 2 Shorter runs and a long one . It's for beginers so doesn't include anything too complicated , I will attempt intervals etc when I haves good 6 weeks basic stuff done , and the snow has thawed
I guess with busy work rota may take me longer as some days I can't train as am either working 13.5 hours or on call

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.