How many long runs for a marathon?

3 messages
27/02/2003 at 14:20
Hi, I'm doing the Rome Marathon on 23 March 2003. I'd love to complete in under 3.45. The maximum weekly mileage I've been doing is about 50 miles - had an easy week last week of 25 miles plus intervals (10 x 300m)and a gym session although this did include a 6 mile race.
I've already done two long runs of over 3 hours and intend to do the Milford 21 XC on Sunday (sore throat permitting!). Any ideas as to how many long runs should ideally be done for a marathon?
Jayne
27/02/2003 at 14:53
you should be fine even if you do nothing between your 21 and the marathon....you certainly needn't bother with any more long runs after the 21....maybe a few 10s to keep the psychological factor of distance still going....
sounds like you've been doing the perfect training, and good luck on sunday!
for my last marathon i did about 35 miles a week including one 15 miler each week and a few 4 milers at 'speed'. i had been doing this for about a year. in the build up to the race i only ever ran further than this once and that was a 20 miler about 4 weeks before. i finished in 3.30. am doing flm this year and my training is still about the same although i've done a few more 20s. would like 3.20 something but being realistic would be very happy with another 3.30....
27/02/2003 at 14:54
To achieve the best endurance, stick to the old formula of 5 long runs equalling 100 miles or more in total. A lot of runners also try and squeeze in a midweek run of 10-15 miles occasionally. Keep entering the races, they will make you faster and help your marathon pace feel more comfortable. Best of luck, lovely city to do a marathon in as well.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.