How much could I expect to improve by upping my training?

7 messages
24/12/2002 at 10:47
Hi everyone and a merry xmas. I am new to the forum as a member but have been reading threads with interest for the past 6 months. I would like some advice on how much you feel that I could improve if I became more dedicated to running. I have been running 'on and off' for the past 5 years but have never really improved due to somewhat eratic mileage I guess. The main reason for my running has been to try and improve my Karate which I do twice a week. Over the past 12 months I have logged my mileage and am averaging about 7 miles a week (I know, not much!) which consists of anything from 1-4 runs per week depending on work etc etc. I guess you could say that I am roughly doing 2 tempo type runs of 3.3 miles a week on average and occasionally do some speedwork on the treadmill (every 2 weeks or so). I can comfortably run 10 minute miles, my 'tempo' 10k pace is about 9 min miles and if I go flat out and kill myself I can run 8:15 for 2-3 miles. So my question is: If I did change my training, become more dedicated, up my mileage to 20,30 miles a week what degree of improvement would be possible? I have run one 10k in March last year (53:59) and feel that If I did one now the time would be the same - I am not improving but not getting any worse. Thanks for reading this and any comments much appreciated. BTW I am a 36 year old male (ex smoker who quit 10 years ago) with max HR of 175 and resting pulse of 48.
24/12/2002 at 12:23
I think it is difficult to generalise, but on the basis of my wife's experience believe you could knock perhaps at least 5 minutes off your 10k time with extra training? She is a very keen gym-goer(4-5 times per week, mostly aerobics, spinning, but very little running). She did our local 10k in 2001 in about 58 mins, having put in a few runs of about 4 miles in training once a week for about a month. In 2002 she started training about 3 months before, and would run 4 miles at least three times a week. The result - 53 minutes!

It also sounds to me (mere mortal that I am) that you are not doing enough long runs. I would have thought a few 6+ milers once a week would do wonders for your endurance. Why not try 3 runs a week (one speedwork, one long, one recovery/easy)for say six weeks and follow it with a race to see if you have improved? I am a year older than you, but find that 3 times a week (running!) is plenty for me if I am not to get injured.

Go for it!
24/12/2002 at 13:13
If you are going to do more milage remember to stretch properly as distance runners generally have quite poor flexibility and tight hamstring muscles, which i think would affect your karate.
Other than that as scrooge says its impossible to give an answer to your question its just a case of go out there, run, and see what happens.
24/12/2002 at 17:27
None of us really knows what we can achieve until we try
24/12/2002 at 18:01
Hi Editor
Agreed, roll on next year
24/12/2002 at 18:16
there was a good article about the four daya week training scheme in RW a few weeks ago, that looked good. was something similar to what scrooe said, it had one long run, one quick run, one speed session and i can remember the other two, but check it out, after all, youre SUBSCRIBED, there's nothing can stop you! lol
24/12/2002 at 19:57
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I will definately try and add a long run in each week. More than anything I must keep motivated and not skip sessions!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.