How much difference does starting pace actually make to race times?

21 to 32 of 32 messages
16/11/2008 at 16:44

Perfect strategy Dippy.

If you get your PB, let us know

16/11/2008 at 21:44

Well, at the risk of sounding like an heretic, I think that watches/GPSs/any time-distance measuring devices are probably counterproductive in producing your best race times except for distances over 30k where pacing through the first half becomes absolutely crucial and quite tricky to juge without some sort of time piece.

But, let's asume we're talking about half marathon or less, then I think it's safe to say that provided you have done a few races over the same distance that you're planning to run a PB over, during your build-up, you'll have a very finely tuned idea of the maximum pace that you can sustain over your goal race distance. In which case, leave the watch at home because the only thing it'll tell you is:

1. You're running too fast
2. You're running too slow
3. The mile markers are in the wrong place!

None of the above are useful, therefore a watch/GPS isn't useful in a race.

Furthermore, not wearing a watch ensures that you never cross the finish line and then complain that you're official time doesn't match your watch time

16/11/2008 at 21:55

Dont you think its quite useful mmmmm to know you are running too fast/slow to hit your pre-race splits?......and for future reference to similar races? and post race analysis

I agree with experience, you know within a few seconds how fast you're running, but its still nice to know for sure during the race, in my opinion.

17/11/2008 at 10:53

i also like to know what minute miles im doing,right away,as opossed to when i get to the markers,because if im wrong then there may be a bit to make up.

the garmin  tells you everything you need to know at a glance,but everyone is different and prefer their own routines.

17/11/2008 at 17:09
To a degree I go with both perspectives here. I've had good and bad experiences with and without a watch. I ran my first GSR at 17 years old in 70 minutes without a clue what my pacing was.

But I ran my fastest ever 5 miles (32'33") using a watch and strict splits.

I think you need the experience to run a race to your best... but that when you don't have that experience, a watch can help
23/11/2008 at 13:29

Hi everyone. 

I did my race today and I got my pb  - 44.42  .  

I ran with my Garmin as I decided it was my comfort blanket and I am not confident enough in knowing my pace yet.  It stopped me going off too quickly and helped me to speed up when I realised my pace was dropping below 7:30.  I managed to run a fairly evenly paced race I think which is somewhat of a miracle for me.

My mile splits were:

1  7:07
2  7:11
3  7:17 (slightly uphill)
4  7:06
5  7:00
6  7:16 (hill near the finish)
+  1:41

I didn't do well enough to beat my rival, but considering last year I did this race in 49:20 I think I could do soon...

Thanks again for all your advice - it really did help.

23/11/2008 at 16:35

Great splits, 5th mile your fastest, that is quality pacing.

From now, with the added confidence, and a little more training I think you can definitely aim for sub 7min/miling and eventually go sub 40min/10k, which is an excellent achievement for men, nevermind ladies.

Well Done

23/11/2008 at 19:18
Very nice run Dippycat .
23/11/2008 at 21:54

Congratulation Dippycat, knocking 5 minutes off a 10k is some achievment, really well done

24/11/2008 at 10:32

well done dippy,a great achievment,and proof that the garmin is a valuable aid for running.

although, after learning not to shoot off at the start on the road races, i did my second xc on sunday, and guess what, i shot off at the start, i did the first 2 miles in around 12.20 i think,and over the 5.24 mile course i averaged 6.27 min miles, so paid the price on the last 3.

so i will be making a point of holdong back at the next one.

24/11/2008 at 20:36
Well done!
25/11/2008 at 12:29
Thanks for the well dones.  I'm not sure about the sub 40 Yifter was suggesting, but I am left wondering what I am capable of!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.