How much importance do you place on diet?

6 messages
03/11/2013 at 15:38

Interested to know how important people on here consider their diet to running? I generally eat healthily (no processed foods etc) and tend to eat well a couple of hours before a quality session. Always try to have banana quickly after a run too. Other than that I eat whatever I fancy - one benefit of being so active!

03/11/2013 at 16:26

That reminds me, I'd better check the potatoes and put the vegetables on. I'm  rather hungry as it happens.

03/11/2013 at 17:03

Unless it's before a run or the night before a race I eat what I like - within reason.

03/11/2013 at 17:35

A lot, but that's an occupational hazard

Cake    pirate
04/11/2013 at 12:31

04/11/2013 at 19:01

I generally ate fairly healthily but worked my way through a fair bit of rubbish too, I was always on the edge of healthy weight/overweight on the weight/height charts, and wrongly thought 'but i'm a runner, I can't be overweight". I decided to cut out all the rubbish I was eating at Easter this year when my weight tipped 11 stone, it was tough at first but I kept at it and my weight steadily fell. As I got lighter I just felt different and my running performance improved much quicker than I had ever imagined it could. I'm 48, almost 49 now and 9 1/2 stone. I'm running quicker than I ever have in my life. Weight plays a huge part in running performance (and how you feel about yourself) Diet is important, for anyone carrying a few exra pounds it's the big variable that you can control that will have a huge impact on your running. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.