how undertrained is undertrained?

21 to 30 of 30 messages
18/04/2012 at 23:57
Great stuff Kaffeeg, do post. Love to know how it goes.

Good luck
19/04/2012 at 08:46

Thanks guys!!

Feeling excited about it all and remarkably calm.  Will def post how it goes!

19/04/2012 at 09:41
Good luck for Sunday kaffeeg, I know what a bastard shin splints can be so sympathise with you! Just take it easy and do what you can - given the problems you've had, getting to the finish will be a massive achievement - and let us know how you get on!
22/04/2012 at 20:20

well.  it was never going to break world record: 5 hours 48 minutes and 18 seconds.

A rather embarrassing bottom massage at mile 8 due to my glute freezing up (that has never happened before). enjoyed it up to that point. prob felt fine up until mile 17. then dark days until mile 20, which happened upon me just like that. Then the slowest 10k in the world.

but - done!

there will not be a next time - but if there is: better training!!

22/04/2012 at 20:52
Great stuff,

If you say that today... Tomorrow you will be doing another one
23/04/2012 at 07:38
Well done ..more of a race report would be good as this is your first Marathon ...
23/04/2012 at 17:40

tee hee. I'm already eyeing up Chester in the Autumn!!!!

Full race report:

plan was to follow run 5/walk 1 pacer for a while. Never found them, so ran 4/walked 1 for the first hour.  Then moved to run 9/walk 1 for the next bit. Had a crumble at mile 8 (the bottom saga), carried on through that - found the walking breaks hard as it hurt more to start running again, so cut out the walking breaks for a bit.  All gone to put mile 17 and it turned slowly into: run 8/walk 2; run 4/walk 2, run 1/walk 2; walk/walk; walk; run; walk; move forward; don't close eyes; move forward; run; run; run; run; smile; whoop; go into hysterical giggles and finish.

Last three miles took me 46 minutes to complete!!

25/04/2012 at 08:24

Well done Kaffeeg - we probably learn more about ourselves by enduring through adversity than in many other situations in life. When you know how much grit you've got, you become much less daunted by difficulties. So again, congrats to you.

But if you take a step back from the whole event and training programme, what do you think you've learnt from it? How might you have avoided that injury and made a more steady, progressive improvement in fitness?

I think you demonstrated that you did not fit into the earlier assumption that you were suffering from a 'chronic injury'. My definition of chronic would mean the impossibility of running. You may now have some physical recuperation needed but I would imagine you are much stronger psychologically....

25/04/2012 at 08:32
thanks trickydicky. gosh - i've learnt a LOT on this journey.

got my injury by over training and not listening to my body. all classic runners mistakes.

i've learnt that i will never do a marathon as under prepared again.

i've learnt that i can do things i thought were beyond me.

but, i feel i have so much more to learn.

i would like to do another marathon. maybe 2013. maybe 2014.
i want to spend the rest of the year doing half maratons, maybe a 20 miler towards the end of the year. i think more build up in enduarance before i embark on a maraton again.

next time, i want to enjoy more than the first 8 miles, and get more of a sense of acheivement from the whole experience.

but thanks everyone, hearing more experienced peoples constructive advice is always welcome and extremely helpful.
25/04/2012 at 08:37
p.s my injury was completely healed. not a twinge at all during the race and nothing since. interestingly, i did so many lower leg strengthening excerises, my lower legs have been fine. not stiff, not sore.

i didn't do upper leg strengthening as much, and that is what is stiff now.....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.