HR training - Getting Started

21 to 24 of 24 messages
05/10/2009 at 12:10

Just letting you guys know that I have been following this thread and because of it I decided to take Dr.Dan's advice and I bought the book he links to: "Heart Rate Monitors For The Compleat Idiot". 

It arrived Friday night and I had finished it by Saturday night.   Absolutely fantastic!  It all makes perfect sense and ties up with other "running theories" I have come across.  I cannot recommend this book enough!   Needless to say my training week has been turned on it's head.......

Go and buy it!!!..

TBSIARF

PS I have created a very simple Excel spreadsheet since completing the book which works out all your heart rate % for you in an instant (once you know your resting and max etc.)     If anyone wants a copy just send me your email address and I'll pass it on.  It's nothing special but it does the job!

bburn plO.dder    pirate
05/10/2009 at 12:35

It's a great book isn't it TBSIARF

I found it really easy to read, and it explains things in terms I could get my head around.

I've completed two weeks now where all my running has been at <70%, with just one tempo run.

I must admit it feels flipping slow, and my pace is looking rather plodding, at 11 min/ miles , but I'm sticking with it.

Mileage wise, I'm aiming for 30 miles per week at the moment. I've managed 33 & 28 miles per week since I started.

TBSIARF - keep us updated on how you get on.

05/10/2009 at 12:53

BBURN P

It is a fantastic book and as you say, it is explained clearly and simply. As I said earlier I have now adopted the books mantra of <70% to ensure the easy runs and yes of course my pace has dropped as a result BUT not as much as i thought it would. 

I had been quite careful anyway to ensure my days were easy(ish) prior to getting the book but they weren't quite easy enough but not far from the magic percentage.

I did 16 miles @ 73% yesterday which averaged 8:36 miling so i'm quite pleased with those figures at this stage. My weekly mileage is currently at 40 per week but I'm not expecting any big "improvements" at 70% until i get to 60 a week ( that's my hope anyway). 

A few years ago I followed the HADD approach to running for about 5/6 months which involved lots and lots of slow miles but after a while you can really feel ( and see) the difference so I know this will work.

Still, we are here to support each other and give us some time and eventually everyone else will be eating our dust (well....maybe).

TBSIARF

bburn plO.dder    pirate
05/10/2009 at 14:00

TBSIARF - lol everybody eating my dust !!! Not at 11 min/miles !!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.