HR

3 messages
04/04/2013 at 09:53

Hey,

I have a Polar chest band + watch heart rate monitor and have been using it on my runs for a week or so. I have noticed that I can be running at a very maintainable pace but my HR is hovering in the 190-200 range. I'm 22 so I gather my crude max HR is 198.I don't feel like I am exerting myself tremendously so curious to know why its so high.

Factors that I thinks are important;

1.) I have a pretty good level of fitness 2.) I have a very low blood pressure, runs in the family. resting it can be about 95/60. 3.) I tested my Vo2 max with the HR monitor and it said I was 'elite' for my age (actual number was 54). 4.) I do not have any cardiac problems nor arrythmias.

I don't want to get too focussed on HR while I run but I'm very curious as to why I can be comfortably running at a pace that is not pushing me.. however my heart is working overtime.

cheers

04/04/2013 at 10:27

1. Ignore the formula. It's a rough rule of thumb and very inaccurate for a lot of people.  My max is over 200 and I'm nearly twice your age.
2. Get a few more easy, relaxed runs in to make sure you're getting reliable readings.  Note average and max HR (preferably for mile splits for additional feedback).
3. Do a max HR test.  The standard version involves a long warm-up jog/run for, say, 30 mins, then 3 x repeat all-out sprints up a hill, push yourself till you puke (optional but you get the idea) and see what max reading you get.  Alternatively wear your monitor during a 5k or 10k race, where pushing yourself to the limit under race conditions might yield a slightly higher reading.

Actually, unless your max HR is freakishly high (like 240, which I've never heard of) I'm guessing that if you can average over 190 for a run, you're running a lot harder than would be advisable for the majority of your training.  Maybe you've got a max HR around 220, in which case you'd want to be keeping HR down to something like 160-165 for easy pace.  But you won't really be able to use the HR monitor practically until you've got at least a half decent estimate of max HR.

05/04/2013 at 09:13

Cheers Philpub,

I will give the HR test a go later today (minus the puking we hope). I also have a 10K coming up so will wear and compare.

Thanks again

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.