Ice bath

1 to 20 of 34 messages
27/02/2010 at 11:19

Eyup chaps.

I was wondering what the consensus was re the benefits of an ice bath after a long run. Personally I'm a convert, but the problem is that I can't warm up afterwards - my core temperature plummets and it can take up to 2 hours to warm up again. I've tried layer upon layer of clothing, virtually setting myself on fire by sitting too close to my 'living flame' gas fire (nowhere near as good as the real thing) and blasting myself with my hairdryer. Nowt works.

I've been reluctant to have a hot bath after an ice bath on the advice of a soft tissue therapist - but a friend recently said that he always has a hot bath after his ice bath.

Ant thoughts guys?

27/02/2010 at 11:39
Do you totally immerse yourself? I only usually lie in it up to the waist and have a jumper on and a cup of tea whilst reading a book and then take a warm shower. don't like the sound of a hot bath afterwards, sounds dangerous.
Edited: 27/02/2010 at 11:41
27/02/2010 at 11:41

Plenty of layers, hot water bottle on your tum and a hot chocolate drink usually works for me.

27/02/2010 at 11:41
Mozzy - I find the same so I'll be following with interest.  How long are you in the bath for?  I've been holding on for 15 minutes.
27/02/2010 at 11:47

Not had one in ages guess i should start up again

But a warm top on, cup of tea is a must and something to read, They are beneficial.

27/02/2010 at 11:49
oo just thinking about an ice bath is making me feel cold!!
27/02/2010 at 11:58

15 mins up to my waist - sweatshirt - jumper - woolley hat - mug of tea - my mobile to text everyone on my address llist to keep me distracted - you name it I've tried it! But actually not the hot water bottle - I'll give that one a go!

Whilst I'm in the bath it's not too bad -it's afterwards!  Brrr . . .

Edited: 27/02/2010 at 11:59
27/02/2010 at 14:23

Reet - done a little bit of research and it seems that you want your muscles to warm up after an ice bath as quickly as possible. The cold water contstricts your blood vessels aiding the flushing of lactic acid and helps to reduce inflammation (presumably we all know that), but then the warm blood flowing back through your muscles brings with it all the goodies to aid muscular repair - so it seems that a warm bath after an ice bath may be the way to go - especially if like me you stay cold for quite a long time afterwards.

The big sports stars are doing it

and so is some traithlete dude

But maybe we're just all complete suckers!

cougie    pirate
27/02/2010 at 16:27
I think I'd rather live with the lactic acid to be honest...

I did unwillingly have an ice bath after a race when staying in a miserly b+b where they'd switch the hot water off in the day. And my legs felt better - but even so! Brrr !

I would think a few gallons of hot tea after would be a good idea.
27/02/2010 at 16:36
After I have an ice bath I usually have a warm shower to get me back up to temp but if you don't want to do that then the key would be to warm your core.  You can do this by deeply inhaling warm air (from say a hairdryer or bowl of hot water and a towel like you have a cold) - this is what we do with people suffering from hypothermia as it raises the core quickly but gently.
27/02/2010 at 16:47
That's a top tip BMJ! I'll try it! I can't have a hot shower as my mate broke the control - so it only ever reaches the dizzying heights of tepid!
27/02/2010 at 17:31
I had my 1st cold bath earlier(no ice just cold tap) and it was hell! I didn't enjoy it at all.I only managed three 2 minute sessions, I just couldn't stay in, my toes were really painful. I have felt some benefit but would like to know if it gets any easier or you get used to it.
27/02/2010 at 18:09

I love my ice and cold baths.  I only have the water up to my waist and always have a cup of tea and wear a woolly hat.  Afterwards it usually takes me hours to warm up, I made the mistake of having an ice bath in December one evening and I was still freezing cod the next morning!  I always stay in for 15 minutes but very occasionally I'll go for 20 minutes - brrr!

Try putting your clothes on a hot radiator, that should work, maybe?

Edited: 27/02/2010 at 18:09
27/02/2010 at 18:49
Blimpy, do you get used to them? My legs felt ok it was just my toes, really really painful.
27/02/2010 at 19:27
Madlot wrote (see)
Blimpy, do you get used to them? My legs felt ok it was just my toes, really really painful.
The more you have, the more you get used to them.  However, every ice/cold bath I've ever had has left my toes in pain, too.  I don't think that part will ever get easier...
27/02/2010 at 19:40
I`ve always tended to do this after long runs, especially when I lved in Cairo but, I must admit, that I`ve not bothered since Winter has kicked in. It does work and I alwyas have a warm bath after.
27/02/2010 at 19:54
hi all had my ist ice bath ok, is it just for after long runs onces a week or all runs thank you and may good falltune follow you all  kindest regards.
28/02/2010 at 15:06
I always have a hot bath afterwards, but I find that missing the ice bath out usually gives me more pains the next day then if I didn't have a bath at all. The hot cold thing works wonders
28/02/2010 at 15:51

Reet - turn to page 59 of Aprils RW gang - Mo Farahs tips - 'after a long run I'll get in to an ice bath for 10 minutes, then get in to a hot bath after'

Sorted!  It's obviously is the secret to running a 13 minute 5k . See you 2012 chaps!

cougie    pirate
28/02/2010 at 16:13
That would be fine if you have 2 bathrooms I guess ! I'm leaving icebaths to the elites - I'm not sure if it would make a difference at my level other than a few less aches the next day ?
1 to 20 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.