Improving breathing on speed sessions

3 messages
04/02/2004 at 19:33
I've been reading my old training diaries to see what sessions worked well/not well.

On reading I found a common pattern with my speed sessions, which was that my legs are strong and can keep good speed, but my breathing gives out before they tire. I know the whole point of speed work is to go at a pace that makes your breathing hard, but how can I improve my breathing so that I can go longer at speed?

BTW it seems that this was more evident over short reps of half to a mile, when running at about 5k pace.
04/02/2004 at 20:25
Not particularly about breathing and speed sessions, but I have found Erratics advice on breathing techniques (lung capacity and speed thread)really helpful overall. It has helped me to concerntrate on my breathing when I'm running hard.
04/02/2004 at 20:45
Thanks Patouka. I realised after I'd posted this thread that you had one similar on the go.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.