In need of a more structured training plan

6 messages
22/10/2012 at 14:11

Competed in my first half marathon yesterday (Great Birmingham Run) and finished in a respectable 1:40:41. Happy with the result as I kept to a good steady pace throughout & left enough in reserve (after the evil hill at 11/12) to finish the final 800m straight in 2:40~. I've seen dramatic improvement over the past 7 weeks but understand that I'm going to start levelling off soon and would like to be able to gain long term improvements.

Prior to this race I was running one long run a week & 3 mid distance runs midweek on advice, totalling generally 2-30 miles per week. I am now looking for a more structured plan where I can strat to look at some speed work to improve my current level/times.

I do no have any events planned in the next couple of months, the next i expect to run in is the Warwick Castle HM, although this is not until February & then a couple of 10ks following (will prob take part in a few 5k ParkRuns in the meantime though).

I'd like to look at improving to a sub 1:30 HM by mid February, so thats just under 4 months, as well as takjing my 10k down to 40 mins. I've used programs like Macmillans run calculator & although its handy it doesn't not tailor a plan as such which is prob fine for more experienced runners but not a great deal of help to the rest.

If any of you experienced guys have any advice on structuring a training plan for improving speed endurance I'd be grateful for your input.

Cheers 

22/10/2012 at 14:24

Have a look on the training section of this website for some training plans.  I don't think any of the plans will start now for a HM in mid-Feb as they tend to be around the 8 week mark.  However you could follow two separate plans,on enow and another for the real race.

One thing to remember is that we all respond differently to training plans.  I didn't improve very much from the first training plan I followed, but noticed significant improvements from the next plan I used.  So don't be too disheartened if you don't see major immediate benefits from a particular plan, you may need to assess if its particular structure suits you and find a different plan with a different philosophy behind it.

22/10/2012 at 15:54

Hi Kevin - about 4 months ago I was at about same level as you but hadn't actually run a Half - if you look at my thread 'Overdone It?' - Stevie G a regular poster around these parts - gave me a weekly training plan. The aim was to get sub 1:35 but I achieved 1:29 - that was just a couple of weeks ago - we'll all train and perform differently but you could start at week one and follow his plan and see if it works for you too.

I'm aiming for a sub 67 10 miler now in 4 weeks so starting again tonight.

23/10/2012 at 11:45

Yeh the main issue I had with the plans I came across was that they were generally 8-12 weeks  where as i was looking at creating a long term plan...obviously I understand that any long term plans would need modifications as time goes by. Guess i never really thought of back to back plans, but I guess if I follow a sub 1:40 plan, see how I'm getting along at the end of it with it and reevaluate from there it should work.

23/10/2012 at 11:52

Cheers Skinny, have had a brief skim through that thread & looks like Stevie has tailored that plan excellently to your abilities. Will have a proper read of the thread as if you were aiming for similar goals i guess it might suit me also.

Cheers

23/10/2012 at 20:37

for the long term try a marathon plan generally based on 18 weeks. It will give you a good aerobic base and your half times will reduce by default.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.