Insanity Workout

81 to 100 of 614 messages
31/05/2012 at 21:39

Right I suppose I had better chime in as have been doing this since monday, and havent posted.

My beginning fit test results were as follows:

Switch Kick 100

Power Jacks 39

Power knees70

globe jumps 8

suicide jumps 14

pushup jacks 20

low plank oblique 43

Think I could have done alot better if didnt try to go at it so hard in the beginning, but then that just means more room for improvement on the next fit test

Day two and three were a bit of a shock to the system, as never expected to be in such a mess at the end of it!  Day 3 seemed harder as I was still aching from the day before, although I no matter how tired I got I still carried on even if it meant pausing for a few seconds to get my breath back.

Cardio Recovery was good as it seemed to help stretch out my muscles which were getting tight from the previous days workouts.

I struggled with the lunge dips, which seemed to kill my knees after only a few reps and left my legs a shaking mess after.

I will be getting a decent recovery drink and some whey protein as I doubt if my body could take 60 days of this battering without some sort of help.

Despite the aches and pains, and the sheer exhaustion at the end, I am actually enjoying the training as Shaun T seems to motivate rather than the annoying bloke from P90X.

Roll on Pure Cardio

Terry...

31/05/2012 at 22:14

Good to have you in the loop Terry. Good first test results too.

Today was M1W4D4 - Cardio Recovery and boy am I glad of the rest it provides HOWEVER the sting is in the tail - or should I say QUADS. The sheer volcanic burn again in the quads. How the hell those on the DVD hold the sqauts and further more, complete the extra dips, I will never Know. In fact, I think it's Chris again on the DVD that I see having trouble like me and he has to stand up - Oh thank God - a fellow human! Honestly those squats burn like hell. I did find that I managed to hold those "Palau-Stance" (bend over hold arm in air pose) better this time. I didn't sweat much either. My body was happy not to be beasted again, and I hope to God that I get a good nights sleep 'cos it Pure Cardio & Abs tomorrow. GULPS.

Thankfully no pain anywhere on the body, and I think that any rapid body shape has slowed. I suspect that it might all kick off again when I embark on the MAX stage..

Keep it up everyone. Bed now - sleep I hope - up early for work.

01/06/2012 at 13:15

Thanks for all the advice Henstooth bizarrely I can't wait to get started!

Definately going to get some recovery drinks tomorrow, don't think my DVD's will arrive in time for the weekend so going to start next week when they do.

So motivating to hear all of your stories on here, sounds really hard but also worth all the pain!

01/06/2012 at 13:18

Ooh meant to ask when are you doing the Three Peaks? I did it last year and it was brilliant, we did it in May and the weather was shocking so hopefully the conditions will be better for you in July. I am doing the Trailwalker this year (trying to sign up for one big challenge every year).

I'm sure insanity will more than prepare you, all that up and down mountains definately requires strong legs.

Hi Tangol, thanks for posting your progress, looks like I will be about a week behind you so it's nice to know what's up ahead

01/06/2012 at 15:02

CWTH - 3Peaks June 29th - 7 of us school friends who also run, party, holiday together. Doing this to raise money via Just Giving page for the MacMillan Nurses who cared for one of our mothers sadly passed earlier this year from cancer. I'd like to chat further about the challenge itself if you are open for a mail 2 mail conversation. Happy for you to PM me.

Also - research your protein recovery shakes. There are loads but I have found the "make your own" are better and certainly less expensive, and you save money buying bulk. It's a matter of taste too - I did like those "Goodness Shakes" but once I started mixing up my own stuff (combining powders and flavour) I got used to and prefer my own.

01/06/2012 at 19:29

Pure Cardio and Cardio Abs (M1W4D5)

Had a better sleep and despite a very busy day at work I was looking forward to a good work out.

A great session today - Part 1. Pure Cardio - only both calfs were well tight. Gave good effort and form. Lots of sweat although cooler day today. Part 2 - Cardio Abs - lasted a bit longer in the exercises but they still KILLED. The last, and very simple looking exercise, is MENTAL.

Abs are showing more after this session. Kids commented on my shoulders and biceps. They had a good prod and poke and said that I looked good. This boosted my morale. A neighbour popped in, dropped something off, and asked what I was doing fitness wise - OH NO! He asked the question. I showed him the DVD set and explained the principle. He shook his head and asked "Why?". I found myself instantly answering, with true conviction "Because I want to be as fit as I can, at the top of my game and look good for a 45 yr old man". He's close to my age and he doesn't exercise at all. He countered, "Well, at our age we have to understand that you can't keep pushing the body. Be content with the way were are". There it was - the difference between those that WANT to do something, and those that DON'T.

With effort and commitment we are the ones that WANT!

01/06/2012 at 21:17

just read this thread, and insanity sounds hard! I may think about it for the winter when I will be happy to take a small break from other stuff and so some inside exercise. The dvds are pretty expensive though - where did you all get them from?

01/06/2012 at 21:26

Mathschick, Its certainly not easy, but then you dont tend to get good results from easy exercise!!

If you want to save money on the dvds theres always ebay........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Exercise-Fitness-/15273/i.html?_nkw=insanity&_catref=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538

01/06/2012 at 21:38

Ok today was Pure Cardio (no abs as this is on the later weeks)

The warm up started off ok but by the end of it my body was starting to feel it. The one thing about doing this is, I'm finding myself trying to  push on until the next scheduled  rest break, but they never seem to come before my body cant take anymore! Fortunately even a few seconds respite and a mouthfull of water is enough to allow me to carry on and just push that little bit harder.

The rest of it was really just a blur and was over quite quickly, although I think when your lungs feel like they are going to explode, and your drenched its easy to loose track of time.

One thing I am noticing is that I am recovering much faster after the workout than I did at the beginning of the week, so I am guessing something positive is happening.

Not looking forward to tomorrows workout as the plyo absolutely kills me.......

01/06/2012 at 23:41

HI Maths nice to see you over here from s.o.c.

Tech guys I work with do say you can download via torrent streams( illegal) if that's your thing I brought mine and you can spread the cost over three months. you could buy them and copy them (illegal i might add) then sell the originals on ebay the the tech guys i work with say that if I had of tried that it wouldn't work due to protection ( basic) on the discs but there is a programme to break the protection and  to  copy them its just finding the right one ( yet again that would of course break the copyright laws) and I would not advise this to be a course to follow.

02/06/2012 at 07:54

thanks valis

I have my sights on a marathon on November (ok, I have entered), so I am going to focus on that for now, but am thinking that after that I might want a change of activity over the grotty months. Also thinking of getting a turbo to build up the bike legs over winter.

Don't want to get them the illegal way, so I will wait till I am ready and get them from the internet.

02/06/2012 at 14:44

Hi all.

Tangol - Good to see that you have noticed a faster recovery time. I assue you that this IS down to your work. Soon there will be some body shape change and you'll find that your form and speed will pick up.

Maths - You have your sights on the marathon. This is great news. Certainly you have a priority on distance work which will need good cardio but that will come through your distance training and perhaps Fartlek training. I have to say that my legs have grown in size from only a months Insanity ( I hate the way my legs look in the photos of me when running - too thin ), so I am happy with this new development. I am now half way through and I expect it will ramp up in effort. My cardio has gone through the roof too, and I found my last 10 miler easy. Good luck on your chosen training program. Hope this thread helps in any case.

As for me - I had a good nights sleep ( couple of beers helped ). I planned to do todays work out in the afternoon, and I was looking forward to it. Kicked off at about 1.30 and almost immediately I got some lower back pain. I am attributing this to yesterdays efforts in the "c"sit ABS work. Needless to say, the niggle went as I warmed up. My calfs were still tight so I just held back on the early work and gave it my best on the third and fastest rep. AGAIN I found the plank ski abs and thrusts difficult - it touched on those lower abs worked on yesterday. It was all I could do to get 4 of them out before dropping the kness, resting and then giving it another 4 burst, and then a final 4 burst. I discovered also that the "scissor switch" only hurts ( means I've now found the correct form ) when I actually have the legs as open as if I were striding out. This forces me to bend the leading knee a little, and BOY OH BOY does that work the quads! I really punched out for the uppercuts and jabs, pulling in my abs.

Now that I am half way through (okay I have tha week of Core Cardio & Ballance to do) I feel great - firming up now and certainly have a body shape change. I would like to know if the week of CC&B is essential prep for the final month? I ask, 'cos my 3 Peaks Mountain challange comes before I conclude the Insanity and I am considering missing out the CC&B week. Any Ideas people?

Pete

03/06/2012 at 06:38

Hi All

Pete, I think that you could miss out the week of CC&B week if you feel that after your last plyo and cardio circuit and rest day your muscles are fully recovered. The second month by all accounts does get harder also you will be able to push yourself more with your increased levels of cardio  fitness.

I think the recovery week is there to make sure that your muscle are fully repaired and recovered from any muscle soreness,So you are not at risk of injury as the workouts get more intense. After my last couple of months I would not advise it because it could mean you put the 3 peaks at risk. .However only you know how you feel and what you can do, its a tough call.

Yesterday and today I have manged to run two three milers with no trouble from the calf or Achilles. I will start the Insanity two weeks from tomorrow so i can build up a little of the fitness levels I have lost being on the injury bench .

03/06/2012 at 09:36

Hi all, well my DVD's arrived yesterday - so please. Did my fitness test and it was just as tough as I expected. Made me realise that I have zero upper body strength - all that running and little else I suspect.

Pete - more than happy to chat about the three peaks, it's exactly a year this weekend that I did it. Seems like forever ago now. Also, make sure you don't overdo it and end up injured, the CC&B week is there to help your body recover so just be sure you are doing the right thing by missing it out.

Valisgonzozen - glad to hear you have been able to get out running again, take it easy and i'm sure you'll be fighting fit in no time.

Tangol - glad to hear your recovery times are shortening, shows it's working

i'm so excited about day 2 - can't wait to get going (no doubt will change my mind a week into the programme). Will let you know how it goes.

04/06/2012 at 15:43

M O T H E R  O F  G O D!

I decided to skip the CC&B week (explained above) and got straight into month 2.  To put things into context, I did some research and discovered that ALL (Evereyone) who had completed the course said that month 2 ramps up and gives you the understanding why its called Insanity.  I even watched some youtube home videos of people who were doing the actual workout and some who'd completed it.  So I had a fair idea of what to expect - YEAH RIGHT!

Sunday was a rest day - nice.  And I did relax.  No exercise at all.

Today M2W1D1 - Fit Test & Max Interval Circuit.

Fit test is the normal routine (don't forget that this is BEFORE the circuits)

Switch Kicks 115 (1st 110) (2nd 130)

Power Jacks 59 (1st 47) (2nd 57)

Power Knees 99 (1st 70) (2nd 100)

Power Jumps 46 (1st 30) (2nd 46)

Globe Jumps 10 (1st 7) (2nd 10)

Suicide Jumps 23 (1st 20) (2nd 25)

Push Up Jacks 34 (1st 20) (2nd 38)

Low Plank Oblique 53 (1st 39 ) (2nd 56)

On reflection there is a slight improvement but a dropping off during the latter exercises.  Form was certainly better.  Sweating and puffed out.

Now for the Max Interval Circuit.  I gave myself some 15 minutes before I started this.  Plenty of water on standby and the obligatory towel.  I kept my own music down as I was sure that there'd be new exercises that I'd have to get to grips with.  My initial shock was that we have 1 hour marked up as the time to be taken.  No more messing about with 40 minutes!

Warm up has much the same exercises however there is more arm movement.  I kept to my own pace and I was glad I did because ST doesn't let up.  We go through the warm up 3 times and have a short break when we then go into warm up stretches (much the same).  Then we get to the main show.  It's a bit of a blur with some cruel twists on the exercises thrown in.  The workout time is up to 45 seconds and the HURT.  The one that gets me is the low level switch kicks - what's that all about?  One girl, Arieal, she's like MENTAL high with her legs. How in Gods name does she do it.  I find myself leaping all over the place. OOOOh and the suicide drills - MAN ALIVE.  Combinations of stuff we have done before, but all stuck together in one routine.  We do this set 3 times with 30s rest in between - then do another lot of new stuff 3 times.  And then another.

There are times when I just can't think straight and I even got that white halo thingy going on so I had to just take a longer breather.  It's good to see that even the machines are blown out at times.

In the end - this hour is all a blur - I have drenched my towel - drunk 3 pints of water and sworn loads.  When the program ends, there is silence on the DVD - I thought it had turned off but it was the fact that everyone was on the floor - eyes like rabbit in headlights.

Throughout the warm down I am dripping so much I can't mop it up quick enough. I am sure I saw my HR at 160 odd. I gulp down my recovery drink and dwell in a cool shower. My mussels are thudding gently for the rest of the day.  Gunna have to dig deep from now on people.

04/06/2012 at 19:35
Missed a couple of updates.

Still training but I've been away from the internet.

Barefoot as always, I feel this makes it harder as you have to land softly.

But the 123 Heismans are unusual as you find your self skidding.

Cardio Power and Resistance

Beasted drenched and drowned in another 4 litres of water.

Cheers.
05/06/2012 at 14:01
Cardio

Barefoot

feel good, recovering very quickly after training each day.

That could change on month two.
05/06/2012 at 14:45

Just woken up after a surprised gift of a night shift. Through the night I could feel the aches moving into my bones! Having woken up, Ooooh my knees - oooh my biceps, ooooh my legs! Its happening, I am slowly turning into A TANK!  Seriously, I hurt. Mostly the lower quad at the knees on the outside.  I had a sneek peek at todays DVD - 55 min with some strrraange moves.  I shall get into it with some dextrose added to my drink.  Awate the report.

By the way - Keep up the good work Ed.  Hope to hear from you others soon.

05/06/2012 at 16:59

Well that was eventfull - The sneek peek last night helped insomuch that I kinda knew what was coming but it didn't detract from the sheer effort needed to do the bloody thing!

ST doesn't have the same kind approach as before. He's so much more demanding. I was determined to keep my own pace and not get blown away too early. I had put some ibu gel on the knees to take away the dull ache. I had some weak blackcurrant drink with added dextrose on standby. Warm up was okay (couldn't get my HR monitor running so no data) but it soon got the pulse up. I worked through the new exercises which have made me discover some new mussels. It was great to see some of the DVD people stop occassionaly because I HAD to myself. I had a troublling twinging in my left knee - tendons under strain so I had to nurse them by not going so deep on the lunges. The "press up to stand up" exercise is CRAZY, as is the "side press up". At two points I had the bright halo vision (deep breathe) and then the ultimate - mouth full of vomit!  Needless to say the wife was NOT IMPRESSED as I did the brave thing and swallowed!!! She just can't understand why I'm doing this to myself - She won't except that part of the reason is for her. I admit that it's only a little part of the reason but I would like some recognition for it (me being selfish and spoilt now - sorry).

The house was full of the sounds of grunting and groaning and yelling as I was trying to complete the moves. I was certainly slower than the video, but doing the best I could - much like I felt at the begining of month 1 - so there's hope that practive will bring improvement. My towel AND bandana were soaked.

After the recovery drink and shower - now some 40 minutes later, I am already aching in the bi / tri ceps, shoulders, quads and knees. I have a little headache developing - more water I think. I dread to think how I will feel on nights tonight. Oh well - another day down.  Feeling a bit sorry for myself but I will pick up. 

05/06/2012 at 19:05
Well in pal. You get recognition from us.
81 to 100 of 614 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.