Insanity Workout

141 to 160 of 614 messages
15/06/2012 at 12:37

Cardio Power & Resistance.

Made the mistake of doing the workout before having anything to eat for the day. Big mistake as I felt the energy sapping from my body almost as soon as I started the warm up. I kept going and pushed though best I could but noticed I couldn't really get into the grove.

One thing I like about insanity is the workouts seem to be really quick and mostly over in a blur, as your body struggles to make sense of what is happening to it. I have a feeling that month two isnt gonna be quite like that, but then am sure it will be worth it in the end.

15/06/2012 at 12:47
Same workout as Tangol.

I felt a little lacklustre today, I'm not sure why. I finished,dripping in sweat and feeling great, but I was missing an edge.

Tomorrow I will be back on form.

Cheers

Ed
15/06/2012 at 15:39

Missed a workout yesterday, went out for a run 3.5 miles which is not that far, my normal dhorter runs are about 5/6 miles. Completely wiped out. Was planning on doing the DVD when I got back but had ZERO energy.

Feel really annoyed with myself, but will pick myself up and get back on it today.

I have a 10 mile race on Sunday and so think after that I will cut back a bit on the running and not try and push myself so hard with it so that I don't 'burn out' again - it was truly hideous and felt like crying.

Never mind - PMA PMA PMA

So glad there are so many of us on here now, gives you that little bit extra push

15/06/2012 at 16:03
Quick recovery and sustainability with feeling on top of your game is mostly diet. Balance Carbs Protien and most importantly blood sugars and you should always hit your target. I messed it up today. You don't have to be diabetic to let blood sugars affect your performance/mood/everything. A quick sugar high causes your sugars to go down beneath the starting point once exhausted. If this happens when training it knocks you down a peg or two. If you are eating in exactly the same way as before it can not always be benefitial. Try more Protien for the recovery and Carbs and vitamins to enable it the happen. Longer lasting sugars mixed with quick release ones can help (Flapjacks etc once the sugar begins to wear off the energy from the more complex carbs starts being released, giving you a more sustainable boost).
15/06/2012 at 16:18

Thanks Ed - I might try following the diet plan next week, maybe i'm not eating often enough or eating the right things. I will give it a go and see if that works.

15/06/2012 at 19:13

I woke up aching absolutely everywhere today - especially my shoulders, but my For Goodness Shakes arrived this morning so I had no excuse not to try the first proper session - Plyometric Cardio Circuit. It sounds so innocent, doesn't it!

<<<This is what I looked like afterwards!

I can honestly say nothing has ever made me sweat so much. I had to sit out one of the drills with the basketball jumps and the pushups but kept up the best I could with the rest - Mr Cheetah is yet to try it but he's starting to change his view after seeing the state of me after a workout! I'm off for a 5 mile-ish run soon, it seems to hurt less running than walking at the moment.

I stand by my first impressions - Shaun T IS evil!

16/06/2012 at 01:25

Several hours later....and OUCHIEEEEEE!!!!!! I've decided to have a total rest day tomorow as it can only go two ways - either I end up injured, or have a really pointless workout as I can hardly move!

I have aches in parts of muscles I didn't even know existed - and at the moment I only seem to be able to go down the stairs sideways, one at a time. At least it seems my form must have been OK as my aches are fairly well balanced!

I think it was the power squats that got me. I did manage a 5.5 mile run though - a lot slower than normal as my legs were already seizing up a bit but I'm proud of myself for doing it!

Edited: 16/06/2012 at 01:25
16/06/2012 at 10:49

Cardio Conditioning and Cardio Abs...Another long day at work. Decided to have a caffine loaded tablet which you add to water as a pick-me-up (that worked!).

Entered the workout keen, found it okay to be fair - certainly worked hard, lots of quad work. Felt a lot better doing the drills too. Occassionally I phased out for the last 10 or 5 seconds on a couple of the routines but that was due to me giving it my best at the start. Sweat build up and wet T-shirt (steady girls!). Last exercise is high level and low level plank oliques. Did well on them today. As I had just done the warm down for the 45 min session, I skipped the warm up for the cardio Abs session and got straight into the abs work. I felt good and managed a higher number of crunches. I certainly felt them working so I have mastered the "c sit". All in all and good 1hr15mins. Lots a sweat, the abs ache now though.

Today I intend to do an evening run tonight and I will be interested to see how I do. I will move the training session to Sunday (fathers day of all days!)

EVERYONE - well done with the work. Should be some more people popping up on the system as I spread the news.

16/06/2012 at 15:28
Barefoot Plyo Cardio

Sweating monster size buckets today.

Feel great, back on form.

Ski Abs are my nemesis and I will overcome them.

As we used to say in the Army "Pain is weakness leaving the body, (or an automatic response indcsting a serious problem"
17/06/2012 at 06:45

So, I've been following this thread for about two weeks now, started Insanity on Monday after a few guys at work who are doing it got me hooked on the idea.  I thought I'd give it a few days to settle in to it before posting my thoughts so, as I am now at the end of my first week, it seemed the perfect time to do it.

Monday was the fit test.  I felt sick during it, but I think that was due to not eating anything before hand and working out on little more than an empty stomach.  It was hard going, and although my results were not as good as I had hoped for, they were better than I had expected. I will update my results in due course.

Tuesday: PLYO CARDIO CIRCUIT.  Dear God, it was horrendous.  I had no idea my body could tolerate so much stress!  It was, however, worth all the pain as I felt really good afterwards. I took Ed Trelawny's advice and did it bare foot. This caused incredible arch pain, in turn causing my achilles to hurt...I'll stay in trainers from here on. Every muscle in my body seemed to be sore in the aftermath of the fit test. Every movement came with a grimace and a groan.  I was even giving it the 'John Wayne' as I walked around.  I drank my bodyweight in water and a protein shake chaser straight after the workout.

Wednesday: PURE CARDIO.  Changed it up today as I had misplaced the Cardio power and resistance disc.  I was still unfeasably sore, head to toe.  Arches still ached throughout.  After the warm up, my muscles didn't hurt so much but began to ache again post workout.  Downed buckets of water again, and protein shake for recovery.  By now I am already starting to notice changes, good changes, in myself.  Legs and back seem to be becoming more defined and there seems to be improvement in my posture and breathing...

Thursday: CARDIO RECOVERY.  I. LOVED. IT.  This has, so far, been my favourite day.  Because my body is finally getting some respite?  Perhaps.  But also because it is so relaxing.  On the back of this, I am seriously considering taking up yoga.  My legs are still sore, but marginally better.  I go into this workout with an open mind, hoping that the stretches will help.  Another protein shake and plenty of wtaer.

Friday:  CARDIO POWER AND RESISTANCE.  This is swapped in from Wednesday, having now located the disc.  This was hard.  Sweating SO much.  But, again, I really enjoyed it.  All the soreness has now gone along with the arch pain, so today I didn't feel like crying my way through the exercises.  By the end I was shaking all over where muscle fatigue had set in, but I felt good.  Hammered another protein shake and plenty of water.

Saturday:  PLYO CARDIO CIRCUIT.  Did it in trainers today. Still found my arches hurt a little, but I think that's due to the perpetual up and down motion on the balls of my feet; jogging, high knees, in and out of the plank etc.  Tried to push myself harder today, sweating heaps for my trouble and going to town on the water.  Took in another protein shake, which I think seems to be helping my muscle recovery, not so much soreness in the legs now.

Sunday: DAY OFF.  I am now heading into my day off.  I can say that I have enjoyed the first week immensely and from it I look forward to embarking on the second week, particulalry the ab work.  To round up my 1st week, I have seen some significant improvements in various aspects of my body.  My posture is improving, my breathing is better, I appear to be slimming down and toning up (flatter stomach and lesser muffin tops in the work trousers!)  Even my skin seems to be clearing.  The biggest change though is in my legs; they feel stronger, they look more ton

emg
17/06/2012 at 15:51

Hi 

Just about to start week 3 and I couldn't believe it when I found this thread on runners world!!

First I have run marathons and halfs but jesus this workout hurts me in ways that my running never has!! I am following the programme as written but I am running in the mornings 4 days a week and then doing insanity in the evenings which so far touch wood seems to be working for me.

Just wondering if anyone has found their running has improved while doing the programme??? Personally I have found that since starting insanity my running feels stronger.

17/06/2012 at 16:22
Me too, more bounce to the ounce, I had cause to jump a six foot wall recently and I vaulted it with far greater ease than I had ever previously.

I glide more than I used to.
emg
17/06/2012 at 16:42

Glad its not just me then. I am definitely experiencing real improvement. Wont ask why you were jumping a six foot wall btw! 

Out of some sadistic curiosity I put on the upper body workout today just to see what it was like (its not part of the main programme but is an extra disk that comes with it)....basically they are in a gym with weights and it is just crazy hard Shaun T actually looks done in by the end.....so in conclusion I really dont feel quite so bad about the cardio workout anymore! 

17/06/2012 at 18:27

Well done everyone, keep hanging on in there. Great to see some more people joining us. Looks like we are all at different stages of the 60 days which is great.

Zero energy today but looking forwards to another week of madness

Week 3 for me, bring it on !!!

17/06/2012 at 21:34

Girl On Fire - Hi there. Good to have you with us. It would appear that you didn't get all that you wanted to write on the thread (gutted as I want to know how you are). TO ALL, I have discovered that in any long text, YOU MUST save on a word document and bring onto the forum bit by bit. After you load the whole lot in one go, it will cut off at the max, and then you can post the "lost bit" on another page, and so on.

emg - Welcome. We are growing into a true family now. I too am a long distance runner and I have found that my cardio stamina has BOOSTED (see above report about me doing a 10 mile recently). Read on and discover how I felt after about 3 weeks with NO RUNNING after being to tired coz of doing month 2!

CWTH - Hi girl. Keep up the good vibes as you seem keen as mustard!

ED - Super powers are given to you. Wow. Keep it up man.

As for me - well I gave Saturday up as a rest day, but I didn't! I decided that I would give a run a go (emg here it is). I met up with a pal in Bromley and we set off on a 10K. I thought I'd been wicked - only after the first mile my quads (damm them) started getting heavy. Normally I take 3 miles to get into my stride. It was at about mile 2 that we hit our first true hill and boy did my legs complain. My cardio was FINE. At mile 4 we settled and my pace was strong. My mate was flagging. Mile 5, second big hill and I opened up. NOW THE POWER and STAMINA came home to roost. I was away like the wind. HR hit 172 (normally 184 at this point before (once 200)), and looking at the stats, I was faster too! IT WORKS PEOPLE. My HR settled to <100 in 3 minutes after we stopped. KOOL.

Today (fathers day) I did the Core Cardio & Ballance. This is the week I skipped (see above for reason). Not too bad people. Reasonable cardio with emphasis on ballance (in pose) and deep mussel holding. Sweat broke out, had to rest out on the quads and some shoulder work. Liked it. Felt good as it worked the areas after the run. Didn't have any recovery drink (only some Guinness! - well it is fathers day).

Tomorrow is Fit Test & Max Interval Circuit. Back on the merry-go-round of sweat!

17/06/2012 at 21:46

Hi all

Good to see you all still sticking in there. Tomorrow I will not be starting as calf went again just got my mileage up to 6 miles and was starting to plan races for later in the year and after completing my first 100 this year going for two 100's for next year and now back on my arse.

keep going it's a good to hear of your progress and i will get there just not as soon as hoped.

17/06/2012 at 21:57

VAL - It is ESSENTIAL that you are match fit for this and everything you do. I trust you are getting physio? Listen to their advice. I was so gutted to be out of the game for nearly a YEAR with the IT band, but as stubborn as I am (can you detect) I just HAD TO STOP and listen and recuperate. You will be stronger, and therefore will be able to get fitter and faster and better. I will bung a few words up the the BIG MAN upstairs if it helps! Stick with the thread and get encouragement form us and keep us in the loop with your treatment and recovery.

17/06/2012 at 22:00
What the hell have I let myself in for!?!? Starting tomorrow. This is the first and quite possibly my last blog as I suspect this time tomorrow I shall be in hospital or worse !! Lol fingers crossed excited to get cracking tomorrow!
18/06/2012 at 09:33
Good news, I made it through the fit test!! Really should haven't eaten prior, felt completely drained, so much so I struggled to stand during the warm down!! Result where a lot better then I had anticipated. Now thinking about how to tackle tomorrow sadistic DVD lol. Off to walk the dog now, day 1 down only 62 more to go....!!! Meh not that I'm counting
18/06/2012 at 13:39

Fourth and penultimate Fit Test for me (prior to my Max Interval Circuit - in a few mins)

Fit test is the normal routine.

Switch Kicks 130  (1st 110) (2nd 130) (3rd 115)

Power Jacks 67 (1st 47) (2nd 57) (3rd 59)

Power Knees 115 (1st 70) (2nd 100) (3rd 99)

Power Jumps 70 (not best form!) (1st 30) (2nd 46) (3rd 46)

Globe Jumps 12 (1st 7) (2nd 10) (3rd 10)

Suicide Jumps 23 (1st 20) (2nd 25) (3rd 23)

Push Up Jacks 40 (1st 20) (2nd 38) (3rd 34)

Low Plank Oblique 60 (WOW) (1st 39 ) (2nd 56) (3rd 53)

Analysis = I AM STUNNED at the improvement because I just didn't feel as if I was making ground these last few weeks. I am gunna be honest and say that my form for the "Power jumps" was not as good as it could have been. I was going for speed so wasn't getting up as high as I should have BUT for my Low Plank Obliques, I went mental fast, almost a sprint. As a consequence I think I popped a mussel which I will nurse for a while. Another secret (I mentioned this before) was that I didn't have my previous results in front of me, so I was just GOING FOR IT. Just goes to prove. I did record my heart rate max as 172, but I soon returned to normal. A good measure of fitness as well.

I am rested now so I will move onto the "normal days exercise of MIC) - back soon!

141 to 160 of 614 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.