Interruption to HM Training

5 messages
12/02/2009 at 15:01

I am currently running 30 miles a week and my LSR is up to 9 miles (will be 11 this weekend hopefully) in prep for my first half at the end of April, everything is going great but I am going on a week long winter mountaineering course in Scotland in 4 weeks which I can't wait for but as I am going to be out in the hills all day every day, I'm not going to have any opportunity to run, even the evenings are planned.

Fitness wise I don't think I will lose much as its going to be very active but as I'm not following a particular programme as such, I'm just wondering how to tinker with my training to get around this?

I am currently running 4-5 times a week, 1 tempo run of 5-6 miles, 2-3 steady runs of between 4-6 miles and my LSR

any advice?

12/02/2009 at 15:06

Rach,

You have not said how long you have been on your training plan or running 30 miles per week for, maybe a week off will do you good if you having been training consistently for a few months.

And like you say you will be doing a lot of walking and climbing in that week.  IMHO the week off will probably do you the world of good.

12/02/2009 at 16:22
I agree. I think the week in the hills will actually do you good and mean that when you come back you will also be itching to get back in training.
12/02/2009 at 17:08
thanks guys, I have been increasing my mileage for only the last month and a half really (but have been running for a few years give or take the odd month or two off), but I do have another month before I go so plenty of time to get used to my LSR, I was planning just to get up to 12 miles as that will take me about 2 hours I think at the moment, not sure if I should do any longer in training?
12/02/2009 at 17:10
My longest training run for a HM has been 10 miles. I'm sure you will be fine, as others have said, the rest will do you good.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.