Is 3:30 realistic for my first marathon (VLM)

21 to 25 of 25 messages
08/01/2013 at 13:18
Katy1 wrote (see)

Ziggy I rang this number:-020790202003, which is on the website under contact us. She just asked for my postcode and name and then told me my time.  

Thanks Katy, just rang and apparently I guessed 3:40 on the ballot as well.

I'm aiming to go Sub 3:30 as well, although I don't know by how much.

08/01/2013 at 13:24

Hi Katy - last years VLM was my first marathon.  I was hoping for sub 3.30 but in the end clocked 3.46 because a) the congestion at the start and b) my first priority was to finish.  My only advice would be not to get too hung up on a time target - just enjoy the whole experience.

08/01/2013 at 13:34
Be prepared for congestion at the start and maybe work that into your training, with starting off slower and speeding up for the second half.

Not sure why they get so much congestion at London . I did Paris in 2009, similar numbers and only 1 start area. I was in the 4 hr pen ( not right at the front) and hit mile 1 at exactly 9 mins. There was also a lot less people walking after 5 miles also. Maybe some of us Brits think we are better than we actually are.
Edited: 08/01/2013 at 13:34
08/01/2013 at 17:27

Ziggy:- How funny, the same time - good luck with your training!

s3tjj:- Hi, thanks for the advice I'm with you on just wanting to complete it and will def enjoy it! 

Millsy1977:- I think you are exactly right that perhaps some runners just dont have a clue what to expect and think its going to be easier than they think so they just put down any old finishing time.  When I ran my last half a girl I got chatting too said "ohh your white pen, I'm coming with you" when I asked her what time she was hoping for she said "I'll be lucky to get under 3 hours" when I said oh no that is the fast pen sub 1:30 she said "yea it dosnt matter" I then went on to explain about her holding faster runners up etc and still followed me, and she finished in 3:22! so frustrating! 

08/01/2013 at 18:45
I think you to accept that some people will frustrate you and plan for that in advance. I started to panic when I first got held up and wasted too much energy trying to make up the time too quickly. Ended up in the most painful last 3 miles of my life as I ran too fast between miles 8 and 18.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.