Is bike cross training ok?

5 messages
14/04/2013 at 19:36
Hi, I am running the London Marathon next week and whilst doing my final 20 mile long run 2 weeks ago I picked up an IT Band injury. I went to see a physio who has given me stretches, ice routine and foam rolling to help get me ready. I have was also told that I could bike in replacement for my taper runs as biking causes no pain. I know the hard training is done but wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else and if they found bike to be a good replacement for running and didn't lose fitness? Thanks
VA
14/04/2013 at 19:58

I haven't got any experience but according to my masseur and common sense it is the closest thing, as it works your legs and sustains your lung capacity.

14/04/2013 at 20:32
Thanks, that's reassuring
15/04/2013 at 00:20

I am in the same position, I have tendonitis in my right ankle which came on only after my last long run of 21.5 miles 2 weeks ago.

Since then I havent run but been doing spinning classes, the tendon is settling and I have been told and reassured many times that the hard work is done and I wont loose fitness, 

Oh well by this time next week we will know one way of the other good luck Adam

15/04/2013 at 06:43
Sorry to hear about your injury, I ams sure it will be ok come race day with a little rest.

Thanks, fingers crossed - either way it should be a great day.

Good luck

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.