Is spinning as hard as running?

21 to 27 of 27 messages
31/10/2002 at 16:10
this turbo trainer, is it an adapter to turn your bike into an indoor bike? If so how much?
31/10/2002 at 16:29
That is exactly what a turbo trainer is. The most common sort is an A frame which holds the rear wheel against a resistance unit. There are 3 sorts of resistance: fan, magnetic & fluid. I recommend the mag or fluid as they are much quieter in use. The two best makes to look out for are Tacx and Elite. Try www.parker-international.co.uk if you can't get one locally. Prices start at appx £75.
You can use any sort of bike on a turbo but you will need a smooth tyre on the rear wheel.
NB - don't buy rollers, these don't support the bike so you have to balance, and speaking from personal experience it isn't as easy as it looks!
Martin.
31/10/2002 at 16:45
Im using my turbo trainer this week instead of running due to the flu.

It is giving me a great workout.
just completed a very hard 55mins sesssion featuring some very hard sprint work followed by small recovery then mega hill reps.

Think im going to start including these spinning sessions into my running programme.

Maybe there was some good after all, with this flu.

I also use a tacx trainer and very pleased with it so far.
31/10/2002 at 18:18
Hi PM and all others who have responded to my question.
I'm hoping that from next week I'll be given the all clear, the physio is very happy with the way the tears have healed and just wants to give a little time before I start any impact work.
Have done another spinning session (yeaterday) with a different trainer. The work out was very different but equally as challenging.He did alot more of the different cycling positions which really got a sweat up!
I am using a HR monitor and yes my HR runs at the top end but I do have a high HR anyway. I invested in a gel seat as I left the gym after the first session trying to walk normally!!
I can't see that this can be anything other than a good supplement or addition to running and certainly is good at making me work on getting my leg turnover faster (no rude comments please!). Working with the trainer who keeps you going and the music is a great motivator - I'm booked for next week.
How many sessions per week do you recommend as at the moment I'm doing two.
31/10/2002 at 18:38
When I was introduced to spinning early last year I got a massive buzz from the music to teamwork to all that shouting from the instructor.

I ended up going every weekday and then found that it was an hour out of my day where I normally went running.

I think it all depends on how you feel its complementing towards your training, or just trying something new that makes that small change and all the difference.

I would just say from experience that if you are really into running and enjoy the spinning classes, be careful that the spinning dont overtake your running progress, I think two a week would be a great help towards overall fitness and it will help your running also.
31/10/2002 at 21:27
Thanks Speedie for the advice.
Once I'm able to run again I'll be much happier and don't think that spinning will intrude into my running schedule, but while off running it's allowed me to feel that for a couple of days a week I can get a really good, productive work out.
Having said that the site of the tears in the calf muscle feel brused today but I'm taking that as a normal response to the increase in intensity of the training this week!
31/10/2002 at 21:27
I only go when i go to conventions and the standard of coaching is high big buzz though, but normally I'm faithful to my running

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.