Is spinning as hard as running?

1 to 20 of 27 messages
29/10/2002 at 11:16
I did a spinning class last night, my first ever and found it great fun but really hard work.
I'm coming to the end of rehab for a calf tear and would like to know if spinning is equivalent to running, I found it harder!! but maybe that's just me.
I want to build up my cv fitness a bit and also condition my legs again because as soon as I'm given the green light to run I'll be out there.
Any comments, Is spinning a good add on to running?
29/10/2002 at 12:20
I love spinning how hard yoy work depends on you but I find them as hard as running but use different muscles also need good presenter. I once did 7 hours of spinning in one day v. tough on my seat.
29/10/2002 at 13:45
As a triathlete I do lots training on my indoor trainer, often in the form of a run-bike session, and I find that the spinning definitely helps my running in 2 ways: 1 is that it aids running fitness, and 2 is that it helps running technique - when I run immediately after a fast spin I find I have good leg speed = more efficient.
I usually warm up for 10-15 mins on the indoor trainer at high revs (100+) prior to a run from home.
The first few times will be harder because you aren't used to the technique, but stick with it and I'm sure you will feel the benefits.
Martin.
29/10/2002 at 13:52
What is spinning?
29/10/2002 at 13:58
Pedalling quickly, usually on a stationary bike.
29/10/2002 at 14:26
Any exercise is as hard as you want to make it. The only problem with spinning is it's SO BORING! (Like running on a treadmill).

Just-My-Humble-Opinion Shambler!
29/10/2002 at 17:56
Just like anything new, it's always gonna be a bit difficult the first time you do it. It'll get easier the more you do it. Mind you, a CV workout is a CV workout irrespective of how you choose to do it.
29/10/2002 at 18:28
Now I know what you mean, I realise I've been spinning for months!
Shambler - Yes it is boring, worse than treadmill as far as I'm concerned. OK for a 15 min warm-up before doing other cv stuff. Tried a stepper for the first time a few weeks ago - interesting if you go for high reps.....
29/10/2002 at 19:14
Agreed, indoor bike training is very boring, but it is highly effective if done properly.
As an alternative you could try spinning on a non-stationary outdoor bike. ;-)
Martin.
29/10/2002 at 22:04
Spinning is not indoor bike training. I have a turbo trainer and use the upright bikes at the gym and yes they are boring. Spinning bikes are differently designed and it is more like a road bike. Plus it is in a class situation, I did some spinning classes run by some NZ triathletes not only were they visually fascinating, the class was hard and fulfilling, seriously i did 7 hours, I can only manage 40 on the turbo
Psi
29/10/2002 at 23:30
My advice would be to get a road bike and hit the open road, but if you can't for whatever reason, spinning classes are an okay substitute.

You just don't get that unique buzz that comes from breaking the speed limit ON A CYCLE, though ;)
30/10/2002 at 08:25
Thanks all
will carry on with the spinning until I can get outside on my bike or preferably start running again.
30/10/2002 at 08:41
Morning VR

You should definatly keep the spin classes up.
I run a private health club and we make all our spin class attenders wear heart rate monitors. They all end up in their high end threshold. Great conditioing for the heart and lungs.
when you return to running you should find your heart rate doesn't go so high or if like me its naturally high you will find you feel a lot more comfortable.
talking of comfort make sure you use a gel seat when spinning or you will have bruises in places like no other!
30/10/2002 at 09:49
And Bike shorts
30/10/2002 at 13:31
I am glad someone asked what spinning was as I imagined you either spinning round in circles getting very dizzy or spinning wool........
Hee Hee.........
30/10/2002 at 22:50
While having a very bad run of flu at the moment, running is not ideal at the moment on the streets, so I have turned to my spinning sessions on my bike, using a turbo trainer and fast paced music blasting out my room this is giving me a fantastic workout.

I then followed this workout by doing squats with my barbell.

Tomorrow im thinking of spinning while watching a movie to pass the time away.
30/10/2002 at 22:53
Classes are more fun, more competitive, interesting to see how much sweat one body can generate
31/10/2002 at 10:00
Hi VR,
When can you run again?
I've been given the go ahead to hit the road as from Sunday .The physio said I can run as far as I want but to do no repeptitive speed work for 3 weeks. Getting itchy feet already.
31/10/2002 at 14:06
Ask Rapunzel!
31/10/2002 at 14:56
Rapunzel, Rapunzel ..................
1 to 20 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.