Jumping

4 messages
04/09/2012 at 12:00

Hey guys,

i have just started doing athletics and was wondering if anyone had and tips for training that can be done at home that would help with triple and long jump.

thanks

06/09/2012 at 09:29

Plyometric exercises are great for developing explosive power which is crucial for jumping. Check out the exercises here - http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometricexercises.html

Its all about landing and jumping again as soon as possible. Basically bouncing into the next jump as you land. Its much more tiring than it looks!

06/09/2012 at 09:38

Agree with the above  - but be careful. Plyometric stuff should be done when fresh, and build it up slowly  -even if you are quite young. 

Also the TJ is very technical (all field events are to be honest) so make sure you get good form established early on - you probably need a coach for that. But yeah, you can do strength and conditioning stuff at home.

06/09/2012 at 12:55
Okay thanks guys I have had troubles with my shins so I will keep the training lite at the start

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.