Just A Little Bit Further 2013

2,841 to 2,860 of 3,637 messages
28/07/2013 at 19:07

Chili - well done on your LSR yesterday.

Did a 4.5 miler in the botanic park this afternoon. Kids came too and cycled in front of me.

28/07/2013 at 20:48

Hi everyone.Hope your weekend has gone well.As I right this,a thunderstorm is rolling in,but the weather hasn't been as awful as predicted.Yesterday was dry until late afternoon,and apart from one heavy shower today has been nice up until now.

Chili,Well done on a Parkrun and your LSR.Glad you had a lovely BBQ.Sorry I couldn't make it.

Jude,that run in the botanical garden sounds nice.

MC,your holiday sounds lovely.

Well I managed 6.46 miles on my LSR today.That's the first time I have run over 6 miles since I tore my hamstring 2 years ago.My Achilles niggle cleared completely and it has been fine after.Don't know what it was that caused it.I really enjoyed the run.It felt good to get some proper mileage in.

I do have a small issue with my right foot however.I was running in shoes that I had worn in on short runs only so far.I've run about 20 miles in total in them prior to today.They are the same model I have used for 5 years,Brooks Addiction.These are control shoes designed for heavy over pronators,of which I was.I had fallen arches,and a podiatrist recommended them.This latest model has been radically redesigned,with the latest sole technology.I never felt as comfy in them as previous pairs,but I persevered and I wore them today.As I ran I wasn't in pain,but felt that they weren't supporting my forefoot as much as my old pair.I finished my run ok,but half an hour later the outside of my right foot began to hurt,and it feels bruised.It feels as if the motion control has been pushing my foot over too much and I've been underpronating and landing awkwardly.I wondered if my gait/feet had changed,and did the ''wet foot'' test.My foot imprint is way different to what it was 5 years ago.My arches have risen,and It looks as if I might only slightly overpronate.So the new shoes seem to be overcompensating and throwing my gait out.So i'm binning the new shoes,and going to get my gait rechecked.If I don't need motion control shoes,then the choice of shoes I can wear goes from 3,to about 20.Hopefully all the little niggles I have will be sorted by some shiny noo shooz.

29/07/2013 at 10:30

Morning

Been very busy working all weekend.

Sounds like some good running and swimming from everyone

Loula  Nice one sis.

Deejay.Well done on your 6,46 miles  yeah sounds like your gait has changed so am sure new shooz will make all the difference.

Jude..70 lengths..phew...I think I am doing well if I do 8....Ha ha

Mathschick Enjoy your mountain retreat.

Chilli.well done on your parkrun and extra mileage. Pleased the barby went well and shame you are so far away as would love to meet you all.

AF...wow more marathons.fantastic...you will need to find one for November. That's the only month you aint got one.

Have been managing to get some running in as well as gym work. Doing about 25 miles/weekly at the mo with a mixture of long runs ranging from 6.5 and 10 miles along with short interval training too and steady runs.

Have a good day everyone

29/07/2013 at 13:18

Afternoon,

Didn't look at the thread yesterday but I am somewhat shocked at the ebhaviour of Loula. She goes away for a while and then posts filth- where are the pciturs of the ladies?

DJ-Yes it sounds like your gait needs checking. I am in a similar position as I have shin splints at the moment and think I meay be overpronating more than before so I must do likewise. 

Franny-Good to here from you. Yes I had thought about a marathon on November - but may be pushing my luck too much with Mrs AF.

Well I never did get to do a long run iwth club friends on Sunday as our plans were changed on Sunday as we took step son and girlfriend out for lunc. Did do a 7 miler 1st thing and 6 this morning so have run 26.6 miles since Friday.

29/07/2013 at 19:00

Well done to all of you for running.

It appears I am having another rest day. We have guests staying at the moment and hubby has gone out with them again, so I can't go running. We are on our third thunderstorm of the day so I probably wouldn't want to run in it anyway

30/07/2013 at 08:16

Morning all!

Chili - Hope you get the chance for a run today.

AF - well done on your mega mileage!

DJ - have you bought your new shoozies yet? Well done on your long run!

Franny - Well done on all your running and gym work.

Another 70 lengths at swimming for me last night. I am planning to run this afternoon while kids are swimming but weather forecast says 37C so it should be pretty sweaty work. 

Hubby has just taken our car to be converted from petrol to gas. It is a lot of money to fork out but it should cut our fuel costs by 45%. Don't know why we didn't do it before as Turkey is one of the most expensive countries in the world for petrol.

Anyway, have a good day all!

30/07/2013 at 17:11

Hi all

Had a short run yesterday but it was really hard work as it is so steep in every direction. Lovely to be able to run in some beautiful countryside though. Then we spent most of the day on s beautiful little beach

DJ well done on your running and hope you find some shoes that suit you. I am now running in brooks ghost as I have changed to more forefoot strike so over pronation is no longer an issue. 

30/07/2013 at 21:50

MC - sounds like a lovely holiday

Jude - so thrilled to hear all the lovely times you are having. I know it doesn't make up for the ridiculously long hours you work but sounds like a great summer.

Yes, my Big Girl and I went for run through the woods. 1 min quicker than last week although it felt slower and we had to stop for a horse rider to pass. It won't be long and she will be out pacing me over 5 miles on the way home in the car covered in mud (cos she fell over) and a bit damp she asked if we could turn round and go back and do it again! She then said it was much more interesting than parkrun. Which I do agree with. I wonder if she will end up a trail runner?

31/07/2013 at 11:57

MC-Logging on while on holiday that is dedication!!

Was going to take children to London Zoo yesterday,but, decided not to do after lously weather- took them to the cinema indtead.

Jude-Pleased to here that you are having a good time.

Chilli-Really impressed with your Big Girl. You shoiuld be proude of her.

6.3 miles yesterday morning and a Pub Run this evening which will mean that I have run over 150 miles in July.

31/07/2013 at 13:46

Hi everyone.

MC,glad you are having a lovely hols.

Jude,good to hear you are enjoying your summer break.

AF that is a fantastic month's running.

I'm setting myself a mileage target of 50 miles next month.My foot is still a bit bruised but hopefully should be ok to start tomorrow.Looking forward to getting started on my challange.

Going to get my gait analysed on Saturday,and hopefully some noo shooz.I will be sad to leave Brooks Addiction's behind,but the latest one just doesn't feel right.

Have you seen the Great North Run line up for this year?Farrah,Bekele and Gabrselassie all in the same race.It's going to be fantastic.I'll be torn between all three as they are my three favourite athletes.

31/07/2013 at 17:15

AF we have WiFi where we are staying and I have a new tablet that I brought with me  well  done on the mileage for this month

It is so hot here it is crazy normally here in the north of Spain it is around 25 degrees but it has hit 37 today which makes it hard to do all the walking etc we have planned

Chili so nice that your girl loves running with you

Jude sounds like you are having a great summer with the kids

31/07/2013 at 20:05

MC - sounds like a lovely place. Hope it cools down a bit!

Chili - well done to big girl! It's great she is enjoying it so much and she is obviously really talented.

AF - well done on your runs and your super mileage.

DJ - Good luck for next month's running plan. I'm sure you can do it!

Well, I'm just over 100 miles for July, which makes it the first month this year for me to go over 100, in spite of Ramazan and the heat. Did 4 miles today and yesterday. Swimming tomorrow.

News finally came about Elif's swimming. She hasn't been selected for the nationals this time which is as we all expected so not too disappointed. She is still very happy with her 5 first positions but it's done on points this time..Trainer is very positive that she can make the national team when the time comes......She did come 2nd in Turkey for the 400m individual medley so she is thrilled about that.

Bought a coffee table for the living room today and kids have cleared up all the lego on the floor (without me asking!!!) Hooray!!!

31/07/2013 at 20:36

Lol the lego! With the kids off school and the state of the house goes to pot, doesn't it Jude?

Well done AF - fantastic mileage.

MC - hope you are enjoying your holiday. You're only missing thunder storms here.

DJ - Ooooh, that sounds a brilliant half! Heard on the news today that Bolt has accepted Mo's challenge to 600m race for charity. That's going to be a good one too.

Just a bit of cycling today. Very hard to keep to any training rountine during summer hols.

Had a follow up hosp appointment this afternoon re gyne issues. Things aren't as good as I had hoped, but not terrible either. I can keep training but I think I shall need to have surgery in the autumn. But apparently my iron levels are back up and as high as a man's!

Am taking my youth group into London tomorrow for a day trip to the free museums in South Kennsington

01/08/2013 at 11:04

Morning,

Chilli-Hopefully things will get sorted.At least you can keep training.

DJ-Hope you get your 50 miles done this month.Sounds like (fingers crossed) you are on the road to recovery.

MC-That is Hot Hot Hot!!! Hope you are able to do your walking on holiday.

Jude-Great mileage for you. Plus all that swimmimg you musty be gettting very fit.

6.2 mile club run last night which was good. No running today, but a 13 miler planned with some club members tomorrow as we try and put a semi paln for our marathon traing in place!!! 

Then on Saturday we go to Wales near Carigan for a weeks holdiay. Will be doing some running and I suspect getting lost!!!

01/08/2013 at 23:23

Hi everyone.Hope you have all enjoyed the lovely weather today.

Did a 5k run in very hot conditions,and I was 20 secs quicker than a week ago,despite the heat.So that's 3.1 of the 50 miles chalked up.I had a few niggles in the first half mile from my left knee,but it soon settled down and I had a good run.I always struggle with the first half mile of a run.I get pains and niggles and feel awful and I  really have to force myself to carry on.Invariably I find that after I get through that barrier I enjoy the run.My foot feels fine now,so that is good,and I don't have any post run pains.

Chili,sorry to hear you are not too well.Hope it gets sorted without you missing too much training.

On the home front,things are a bit sad.My wife has been struggling to work with her MS,and is finally conceding defeat and going to ask the Dr to sign her off as unfit for her job due to her illness.So tomorrow will probably be her last day at work,and then we have to try and get her whatever disability benefits we can.It's such a shame.My wife loves her job,but it is very physically demanding.She is a chef,and is on her feet all day,and the MS is making that impossible.I think we both knew this would happen one day,but we didn't expect the decline to be so rapid.

02/08/2013 at 07:11

DJ sorry to hear about your wife it must be really hard for both of you. Well done on your run though. 

Chili sorry to hear of your troubles hopefully the op will sort it all out for good. 

Struggled through another couple of miles yesterday morning in the heat and hills ended up walking a lot but at least it was a bit of me time and will help to keep some fitness up while we are away

02/08/2013 at 09:57

Ahh, DJ, that is rough. And I know the forms and process to get disability payments can be a real hassle. Hope you also find some times of peace and smiles through it all.

MC - I'm not sure that you can garner much sympathy from us here with you in such a beautiful place for your hols!

AF  hope you have a great time in Wales. I so much want to go there and walk the mountains. But girls are still a bit too young to manage the miles.

Just back from a 10 mile run. I am having a drop back week which means that is my longest run this week and felt soooo easy in comparison to what I have been doing. It poured with rain though so I got completely drenched through. My daughter and neighbour's lad came with me. I say lad, but since he has just graduated I guess I should say man. So I ran it at race pace rather than my ususal tortoise speed.

02/08/2013 at 16:04

DJ-So sorry to hear about Mrs DJ I hope you get the benefits that you deserve.

Chilli-Well done on your 10 miler. Hopefully we will get into the mountains if I can get Mrs AF going and lazy step son!!! Will definetly get some running done.

MC-Pleased you have done some running- I have every intention of doing some Me time while I am away!!

13.5 mile club run this morning which was good. I was trying to put a plan of action together for the Autumn Marathons with the lady I will be doing most of my races with which isn't easy with holidays and 1/2 marathon races as well- think we have got there! Probably be only doing one 18 miler before the 1st Marathon on 22/9 hopefully should be ok!!! It is quite good as several of us our hitting the big 50 so the intention is to do a race a month until the end of 2014! 

02/08/2013 at 18:08

AF well done and have a great holiday. I am sure you will be fine for your marathon as you have done a couple now and won't have lost any fitness. Got out this afternoon for a quick 1.5 miles. Still had to walk some of the uphill but that gave me a chance to watch eagles and choughs.

Got a bit of a highly calf so have been rubbing it with an ice cube which is painful. Might have to get a sports massage when I get back

Chili the day in London sounds great. My mum takes my kids to the museums once or twice a year normally on inset days and they all love it

02/08/2013 at 21:09

Hi all!

MC - glad to hear you are getting some 'me' time on your holiday - sounds lovely.  I've been doing quite a bit of walking on my 'runs' lately, but reassure myself that in the heat I must be maintaining fitness. Hope your calf feels better.

AF - gosh ! a lot of running and races planned - you'll be in your element!

Chili - well done on your 10 miler in the rain! Sorry to hear about your health problem. It's good you can keep on training though and great news about your iron levels.

DJ - so sorry to hear about your wife's job. Hope she can claim the benefits she deserves and that she finds unforeseen positive things from being at home. 

70 lengths yesterday for me at swimming and another 4 miles running today with something vaguely resembling intervals lol! Looking forward to having a bit more variety in my runs when Ramazan finishes.

xx

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.